Sign in to follow this  
bmaguy

my e36 vs my e30

hey now ive had abit of time in my 320 e36 ive begain to feel that its alot beter than my old e30 :D ive always loved e30's but this e36 is way nicer to drive and as alot more power and handles very well to :) what's the power diff between the two?

ps.. sorry if ive upset some ppl i just had to say it ;) i still think e30's are mint!

Depends on the year, if you've got the vanos engine then it'll have considerably more poke than the M20B20.

Q: The early E36 (pre-vanos) are considerably heavier than the E30's, are their power to weight ratios better or worse, that's what i'd like to know.

the old seat of the pants meter can be very deceptive,of course the e 36 will prolly be a much nicer car but cos the ol e 30 are light the performance difference may not be as much as you think....as carl says the VANOS makes a huge difference....somenoe post up some kw and weight numbers......

Depends on the year, if you've got the vanos engine then it'll have considerably more poke than the M20B20.

Q: The early E36 (pre-vanos) are considerably heavier than the E30's, are their power to weight ratios better or worse, that's what i'd like to know.

how do i find out if mines "vanos" ? as for poke idd like'n it to my mates 325 e30

it go's im happy :lol: i thort it was going to end up geting a wale! :P

any body know any good websites for e36's ? coz i can't find alot on 320i's

Edited by bmaguy

Guest Spargo

Both have their moments.

Like strangling the road from the turnoff from sh1 via the bottom end of the bay of islands to Russell, I put a good 5 mins on an E30 325i over 60kms.

A well driven M325i will drop a 36 325i, almost entirely due to the LSD factor.

Edited by CiLK WuRM

Guest Andrew

how do i find out if mines "vanos" ? as for poke idd like'n it to my mates 325 e30

it go's im happy :lol: i thort it was going to end up geting a wale! :P

any body know any good websites for e36's ? coz i can't find alot on 320i's

you don't have VANOS

you don't have VANOS

sweet cheers bro......... anyway how do u tell by looking at the engine? Edited by bmaguy

I thought that all E36 6cyls had vanos (M50?).

A manual E30 325i would be one of the best sleepers out there. Especially if its looking like sh*t.

Guest Spargo

Up to 92 = NV.

92 End = single

M3 Evo = double

E46 = double non M3.

Up to 92 = NV.

92 End = single

M3 Evo = double

E46 = double non M3.

:o:(:unsure: i don't have it ! soo what kinda power is mine makeing being a 1992?

M50/M50TU

Straight 6 DOHC 24V/Straight 6 DOHC 24V with Single VANOS. 1989-1998. 136kg 299lbs

Used in E36 320i/325i, E34/39 520i/525i, Variation of this was used in the Early US E36 M3

2.0 (150bhp), 2.5 (192bhp), 3.0 (240bhp) Sometimes referred to as S50US. Engine shares more common parts with M50 than Euro S50, but is a motorsport engine.

Guest Andrew

A non-vanos M50 engine from an E36 320i has 150bhp

Cheers

thats like 13 up on a e30 320 hah - all the e36 320i I have driver.. vanos blah blah all seemed pretty damn slow.

A manual E30 325i would be one of the best sleepers out there. Especially if its looking like sh*t.

Damn shame about the sideskirts, the M-tech 2 spoiler and the colour coded shizzle. Makes sleeping hard.

question kinda on subject

dude at work has an E30 320 (MR GEEZ), and he thinks it will be faster than my car...so yeah whats faster?

dude at work has an E30 320 (MR GEEZ), and he thinks it will be faster than my car...so yeah whats faster?

:lol: have you been in a e30 320??? there not a fast car :D give him a race and see lol B) [ you'll dick him] :D

:lol: have you been in a e30 320??? there not a fast car :D give him a race and see lol B) [ you'll dick him] :D

ok are they only a 4? just thinking his car weighs like 1/4 of what mine does(gross exaggeration) so though it might have a chance.

i might be a 325 :unsure: does that give him a chance?

ok are they only a 4? just thinking his car weighs like 1/4 of what mine does(gross exaggeration) so though it might have a chance.

well my old e30 320i was slow 1 -2 [slow as in i'dd just take a 1.5 civic at the lights] there ok 60km - 160km but not fast. and alot off them that go around are f**ked. even if you had a 325i u would be fine :P

:D sweet as, of course i would never race on a public road or incourage it

Ps. i'll try and film it at lunch tomz...just joking

6s mate. yup, he's right, they aint slow if standard autos.. but mines still slow and it's a manual. Still.. respect to the 320i. I love it long time.

i might be a 325  :unsure:  does that give him a chance?

6s mate. yup, he's right, they aint slow if standard autos.. but mines still slow and it's a manual. Still.. respect to the 320i. I love it long time.
yeah my e30 320i was manual and it was a "SPORT" hehehe wow!!

not a Msport.... but yeah slow... :gay:

Huh??? 320i's aren't THAT slow, it's obvious that the person behind the wheel makes a difference when determining how fast a car is :wacko:

I'm running a bloody anti-acceleration diff ratio (3.25) and I still get some reasonable acceleration AND that's with the power steering and a/c hooked up sapping my horsies.

It's true that 320i's suffer from sad power to weight ratios given that the 320i and 325i share the same M20 block but they've still got something there when you need it...you just need to be in the higher rev band (4k and up) to notice it :lol:

Huh??? 320i's aren't THAT slow, it's obvious that the person behind the wheel makes a difference when determining how fast a car is :wacko:

I'm running a bloody anti-acceleration diff ratio (3.25) and I still get some reasonable acceleration AND that's with the power steering and a/c hooked up sapping my horsies.

It's true that 320i's suffer from sad power to weight ratios given that the 320i and 325i share the same M20 block but they've still got something there when you need it...you just need to be in the higher rev band (4k and up) to notice it :lol:

true i just can't drive heheh :P