Sign in to follow this  
bmaguy

K&N on my E36 320i?

ive got a K&N POD filter at home is there any point puting this on my car??

will it do alot with this engine or it best left alone? eg will it just suck in hot air?? ;)

will it do alot with this engine or it best left alone? eg will it just suck in hot air?? ;)

It'll suck in hot air and won't give you any gains unless you also add a CAI kit/box/thingee so that it sucks in cooler air.

Easiest thing to do is replace the stock filter with the K&N flat panel one.

It'll suck in hot air and won't give you any gains unless you also add a CAI kit/box/thingee so that it sucks in cooler air.

Easiest thing to do is replace the stock filter with the K&N flat panel one.

That is debatable (i'm not saying wrong, just opinions differ)

At higher speeds (including normal open road speeds) you should still see minor gains (as plenty of cool air is entering through the front grill) even with no heat shielding, however at lower speeds (i.e. urban driving) you will most likely see no gain at all (in fact may even see a decrease in performance).

However as Carl said, heat shielding is the best option regardless if you have a pod (says me who has a K&N pod and is too damn lazy to organise proper heat shielding.

A dyno comparison is the only way to know for sure though.

I agree, the easiest option is a K&N Panel though.

Cheers

so am i going to "see" a biger gain then say if was to put one on my old e30? ;)

becoz or the e36's being 24valves?

Edited by bmaguy

make up a cold air box man, shouldn't be too hard....

alternatively pipe the pod down into behind your bumper, theres no hot air down there...

make up a cold air box man, shouldn't be too hard....

alternatively pipe the pod down into behind your bumper, theres no hot air down there...

sweet well ill have a look at what i need to do and ill post sum pic's up :P

There is also an air temp sensor that you would need to do something with, this is connected to your stock airbox...

Ive got a BMC panel filter from my 320 that was hardly used, i thought it was pretty good and used the standard air box which isnt a bad thing.. this is before i upgraded to a BMC CAI.... PM me if youre interested..

I don't think using Pod in a non-Turbo 2 litre engine will have a lot of gain in there as there is no need for huge air-flow. No doubt it look kinda cool in your engine bay. But if that wasn't done probably with the cold air tube/heat shield, etc.... You might be worse off having them. (performance-wise)

I had my K&N panel and quite happy about it. If you follow the pumbling a bit from the air-box, it is actually linked up to the left kidney grill to get cold air in from the front anyway. That itself is kinda a cold air intake. (correct me if I am wrong)

Any car will beneift from being allowed to breath, ie, increasing intake airflow and exhaust flow regardless in charged or not. Question is whether the pod filter in tandem with heat shield is worth the effort or not.

I'm using a panel filter at the mo, can't say I would bother with anything else, i'm happy with it.

Edited by ///Carl

have a look at how i did mine if you want. Unless you can do it yourself cheap its probably not worth the effort. mine is only 4 cyl though.

my pod setup