Sign in to follow this  
master garion

Cooling system overhaul E36

Hi ppl

As we all know, the E36 cooling system starts to play up anytime after approx 120,000 kms. In my personal experience with the 323i, I've had to replace the water pump, radiator, thermostat and housing (maybe more to come?). Each of these components were replaced by the workshop one at a time as they failed, resulting in lots of visits to the workshop and lots of bloody $$$. E.g. when the water pump failed, it cooked the seals on the new month-old radiator....

Instead of gradual replacement, how about an entire cooling system overhaul in one go? I'm sure it's cheaper in the long run and less hassle. Plus, no more intermittent overheating issues as well. The question is...what components should be replaced in an "overhaul" to avoid any cooling problems for the next 100k kms or so?

Here's a draft list but would appreciate input from you guys:

Radiator

Waterpump

Thermostat

Thermostat housing

Coolant expansion tank + cap

Hoses (which ones?)

Top & bottom hose, throttle body hoses and the heater inlet hose that comes of the back of the head. They are the main hoses that fail. Replace radiator cap & bleed screw as well.

I'm looking at doing this soon too; car has just reached 140,000kms and I think preventative maintenance now could save me a lot of money in the long run

and the heater inlet hose that comes of the back of the head.

Very fiddly and annoying, that one!

Not just E36. E46, E39, the E60s have just started to become a problem now with the expansion tanks too. Recycled plastic doesn't tend to be friends with heat.

If four cyl, the hose and the water outlet on the back of the head too.

Hi ppl

As we all know, the E36 cooling system starts to play up anytime after approx 120,000 kms. In my personal experience with the 323i, I've had to replace the water pump, radiator, thermostat and housing (maybe more to come?). Each of these components were replaced by the workshop one at a time as they failed, resulting in lots of visits to the workshop and lots of bloody $$$. E.g. when the water pump failed, it cooked the seals on the new month-old radiator....

Instead of gradual replacement, how about an entire cooling system overhaul in one go? I'm sure it's cheaper in the long run and less hassle. Plus, no more intermittent overheating issues as well. The question is...what components should be replaced in an "overhaul" to avoid any cooling problems for the next 100k kms or so?

Here's a draft list but would appreciate input from you guys:

Radiator

Waterpump

Thermostat

Thermostat housing

Coolant expansion tank + cap

Hoses (which ones?)

Heater control valve, esp on 6 cylinder models, this probably costs more than the above draft list though and as far as I can tell there is no 'easy' fix. But thats me.

I did the fan delete mod, so that means bye bye viscous, which means better access in the long run to everything in the front, for example was easier to replace my crankshaft position sensor. Not to mention I have replaced my thermostat housing thrice!

Heater control valve, esp on 6 cylinder models, this probably costs more than the above draft list though and as far as I can tell there is no 'easy' fix. But thats me.

I did the fan delete mod, so that means bye bye viscous, which means better access in the long run to everything in the front, for example was easier to replace my crankshaft position sensor. Not to mention I have replaced my thermostat housing thrice!

There's a widely used aftermarket aluminium thermostat housing that's actually cheaper than the BMW or OEM plastic one. Lasts forever too. With the plastic ones gotta be careful not to overtighten the bolts.

There's a widely used aftermarket aluminium thermostat housing that's actually cheaper than the BMW or OEM plastic one. Lasts forever too. With the plastic ones gotta be careful not to overtighten the bolts.

Yep, I hesitated many times, thinking I would definately get that next time, of course I didnt cause the housing would crack and I couldnt wait, but if I have any further issues, oh yeh I am gettin one off Turner I reckon.