Sign in to follow this  
zara

Crazy quotes for E31 Suspension arms

My front lower control arms, in BMW language "left+right aluminium wishbone" part number 31121138477 and 31121138478 (different sides) are completely stuffed. The only replacement method would be to buy the whole arm as you can't press the bushings into them.

So I rang BMW, and they come to...$670 EACH! And that's at trade price too, retail and you're looking close to $800 (I get it at trade).

So the question is, are there any places I could possibly find aftermarket replacements? Other E31 owners from bimmersport.com have told me M5 (I'm guessing E34) ones fit too, so anywhere for aftermarket M5 parts?

Car is 1990 BMW 850i, plate FAW176, will provide VIN if needed.

Edited by zara

Cheapest way would be to get them for overseas. I just had a look at pelican parts and you can get both OEM M5 aluminum arms for under $500 incl air freight(takes about 7 days). Aftermarket are 1\2 that price but they wont last near as long as OEM.

The joys of owning a 20yr old car that was worth over $200,ooo new

02 LEFT ALUMINIUM WISHBONE 1 31121139987

02 RIGHT ALUMINIUM WISHBONE 1 31121139988

are the numbers for a e 34 m5 they are different numbers to your s,they are common to the e 34 and e 32 nothing there re E31 so IMO they are not the same part

IIRC E32, E34, E31 arms are interchangeable

IIRC E32, E34, E31 arms are interchangeable

I hope so but punching the numbers into real oem dont show the e31 using the e34 part number or the e34 using the e 31 part number

02 LEFT ALUMINIUM WISHBONE 1 31121139987

02 RIGHT ALUMINIUM WISHBONE 1 31121139988

are the numbers for a e 34 m5 they are different numbers to your s,they are common to the e 34 and e 32 nothing there re E31 so IMO they are not the same part

My thoughts exactly. Except the E31 guys aren't really....quick in replies so to speak so I'm still waiting, and I certainly can't afford to get some M5 parts and experiment around. Thanks for the advice everyone.

@Glenn, Yeah, being able to afford a 20yr old supercar certainly doesn't mean being able to afford the upkeep. Speaking of which, I need to visit you one day with other E31 related issues (heard great things about you). Are you familiar with the M70 or the E31 chassis? I'm kinda new to BMW's, in fact, this is my first European car....great way to get way beyond your head right?

From what just reasearched the actual arms are the same but the E31 have spherical bearing instead rubber bushing (E32 & E34's). People do seem to use M5 arms even thou not ideal, guessing due to cost.

Dont think id call the 850i a super car maybe the 850csi

From what just reasearched the actual arms are the same but the E31 have spherical bearing instead rubber bushing (E32 & E34's). People do seem to use M5 arms even thou not ideal, guessing due to cost.

Dont think id call the 850i a super car maybe the 850csi

so the spherical bearing replaces the bushing that is the cause of the infamous e 34 shimmy,and related knocks and play?

I wonder how long they would last in a e 34?

If they are indeed interchangeable wouldnt normal E34 arms also work in the e31,so making then a cheaper alternative again,although the bushes would be even more vunerable in a E31 being a heavier car.

how about steel arms from E34, press out the bushes and use nolathene

got some arms if you need some,and can source the bushes and press them in for you too!

cheers

Jon

so the spherical bearing replaces the bushing that is the cause of the infamous e 34 shimmy,and related knocks and play?

I wonder how long they would last in a e 34?

If they are indeed interchangeable wouldnt normal E34 arms also work in the e31,so making then a cheaper alternative again,although the bushes would be even more vunerable in a E31 being a heavier car.

Its more the upper control arms(thrust arms) that cause the shimmy, the arm with the spherical bearing is the lower control arm. Some M5 owners seem to replace lower control arm with E31 units and press a 750i or M5 bushing in the uppers

Ive got some E32 750i upper control arm bushings ive been meaning putting in mine, should last a bit longer and fix my very minor shimmy

I think the cheapest bet to do as Jon said and replace the alloy arms with steel arms so you can press the bushing out and put urethane ones in

EDIT: There are some well priced E31 lower arms on ebay around 250 each - would be the way to go

Edited by Eagle

Real helpful reply guys, thanks a lot. The Ebay bushings don't seem to last long, but I'll investigate into it. Looks like a good alternative. Cheers everyone. I'll also explore the M5 route

Ive got some E32 750i upper control arm bushings ive been meaning putting in mine, should last a bit longer and fix my very minor shimmy

this is std practise for e 34,750 or m34 M5 bushes last longer than std e34 parts(sorry for teh OT post)