Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Air Bag Seat Removal?

Does anyone know the legality of removing factory fitted seats that contain airbags and replacing them with race seats?

On that note, can anyone recommend who I should talk to regarding this and who could possibly certify this type of thing locally, South Auckland.

Thanks

Cheers.

I need too replace them with seats of an FIA standard which is fine, I then need to replace my seatbelts with harnesses and then I need a Motorsport Authority Card, to get one of those I need a Log Book.. have just got Clubsport licenses so that’s three forms and three payments before the car has even been looked at by a professional.

Motorsport NZ doesn’t make it easy to compete in even basic motorsport events with basic modifications, I suppose this is all fair enough as it keeps some of the idiots out.

Upside. No low volume certification needed.

I have a current fia seat sitting unused in my cupboard if you're interested :)

Motorsport NZ doesn’t make it easy to compete in even basic motorsport events with basic modifications, I suppose this is all fair enough as it keeps some of the idiots out.

The key part of this is "with basic modifications" --> the rules (and, by implication, safety) are fine with you from entering most clubsport and race events with the car as-is (no rollbar, standard seats and belts), ie its easy for you to compete in events, just not the way you want to.

Right or wrong, MSNZ (probably LTNZ) has decided that modern cars' occupant safety is a package and its either all in or all out (and in the latter case, leads to an authority card).