Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

e39 tv video from ipod question?

I've been reading a few older posts and stumbled on this...

quote jochen...

Some E38s had the AV wired to the AV socket at the rear of the centre console, some did not.

If your's didn't, just fit an AV cable to the AV input on the white connector of the video module (in boot next to CD changer)

You can connect ANY standard composite video AV signal - iPod, Playstation, WII, Camera, etc.

I used my iPod Video to play movies in my E39 with the same system.

It was fantastic, and I could have 100 movies on my iPod...

My iPod was in my glovebox, I cabled the AV input to RCA connectors above the glovebox for flexibility. I also used a iPod docking cable, so the iPod was charging and playing at the same time.

post-5771-1280971312.gif

So I have a ipod video in my glovebox with a DICE unit already working.

If I wanted to play video through to this I can run an AV line from my glovebox back to pin 6 white plug?

Then I would have to get a ipod cable with AV in? and manually switch them when I wanted to watch something? or is there a better way?

Edited by M5V8

i have a e38 tv kit that just came in with teh av sockets in the console if that helps you

Darren, I have wired many cars for ipods to AV inputs in video module.

Pins 6 & 15 are video + & - respectively

Pins 4 & 5 are audio + & - respectively

Yes you can run video lead to here. Then select AV in your TV channel select to watch

So I have a ipod video in my glovebox with a DICE unit already working.

If I wanted to play video through to this I can run an AV line from my glovebox back to pin 6 white plug?

Then I would have to get a ipod cable with AV in? and manually switch them when I wanted to watch something? or is there a better way?

You have the right idea, but mixing your ins and outs

You need an iPod cable that has AV-OUT

The TV tuner has an AV-IN connection (which you can choose to extend to your glovebox if you wish)

You connect the AV-OUT cable to the AV-IN connection

to switch to the TV tuner AV-IN, you select "Television" from the main Navigation system menu, and then turn the dial to AV-IN

The channel numbers go ...39, 40, AV-IN, 1, 2... etc

right yes of course. sweeet. B)

new project!

Thanks!!

Hey Guys

New to the very much... where did you buy the dice unit from and how much did you pay.

Hey Guys

New to the very much... where did you buy the dice unit from and how much did you pay.

From Richard at Gadgets 4 You

You need an iPod cable that has AV-OUT

Just be aware that many of the cheap AV cables on Tardme and Ebay will not work with later iPods and earlier ones running late firmware

You need to ask if they will work with your firmware, or pay Apple's exhorbinant price for genuine AV cable.

Edited by camera doctor
  • Like 1

Just be aware that many of the cheap AV cables on Tardme and Ebay will not work with later iPods and earlier ones running late firmware

You need to ask if they will work with your firmware, or pay Apple's exhorbinant price for genuine AV cable.

Cheers for that Greg

I've actually PM'd you on this would like to have a chat to you about the dice conversion.

Thanks

Sami

The TV tuner has an AV-IN connection (which you can choose to extend to your glovebox if you wish)

Hi Jochen

Is this AV-IN connection located near the NAV computer and the CD changer or at the back of the screen/radio unit.

Cheers

Is this AV-IN connection located near the NAV computer and the CD changer or at the back of the screen/radio unit.

All depends what car you are talking about... Mini, Rolls Royce, Range Rover, X3, X5, E38, E39, E46, Z4, etc etc etc

Help me a little bit...