Sign in to follow this  
_Matt_

Rust Repair

So i took it upon myself to try my best to fix this rather bad rust on my fender. I promised myself i would do a better job than what i attempted with the painters brush on the poor Mazda ;) so here it is.

It's definitely a weekend job if you do everything right. So id be willing to do a write up if anyone shows interest.

this is the best pic i have of the problem.

Posted Image

It continued behind the bumper and bubbled all the surrounding paint, after grinding ALL of the rust out it had gone right through in about 4 places.

After grinding, filling, sanding and priming i painted.

DONT DO THIS~!

Posted Image

I hard masked thinking i could preserve the original paint, don't bother. You need the spray can to blend for you.

So i re-masked and gave it another shot

Posted Image

then 1500 wet sanded, cut, polished and waxed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

don't ask me why the bumper is like that, the mount wont go any higher haha. Also the resprays on this car aren't the best. John was right to be fussy about it ;)

Edited by _Matt_

thats an awesome job. did you just grind away the rust, or put some epoxy/polyurethane rust products on it afterwards?

Unfortunately/Fortunately that was the only serious body rust on my car. If it wasn't i would do a full picture step by step write up. However, ill write something up with the pictures i have and ill take some pics of the gear/products i used.

dubman: yes, i grind down to bare metal and had to grind right through in several places to make sure no rust was left. I then used Fiberglass Reinforced body filler behind the fender to fill the holes and Lightweight body filler for the surface.

Edited by _Matt_

End result looks great! I hate that fiber glass reinforced bog, but, sometimes you just need it ;)

cheers, took most of the arvo correcting my terrible grammar :P I also hope everyone gets my stupid masking tape joke haha.