Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

E30 subframe bush removal

Hey guys currently doing the rear bushes on the E30,

How has everyone been getting the two subframe bushes out??

has been suggested to burn them out which sounds good to me... will this effect/alter the strength of it or can I get a torch and just burn them no worries?

Andrew

finished reading afew more DIY's etc, i'm getting the gas torch out haha warm it all up and theyre ment to come out with afew hits

Thanks anyway

Will need a decent blow torch. Best to get them pressed out at a machine shop.

Just heat them up enough to get them burning and let them burn out by themslves. It is something I'm going to cover in my Camber / Toe thread under Projects.

^+1

have bent several VERY solid bits of 2-4" thick steel with a 80ton press trying to get them out in the past

once your've travelled 400,000km the should just fall out when you jack the car up. thats what happened to mine.lol the rubber had completly sheared from the sleave

Edited by flake

dammmm 100,000kms short^^...anyway burnt them out... it loved it

Posted Image

dammmm 100,000kms short^^...anyway burnt them out... it loved it

Posted Image

Your onto it... get them burning and they jump out by themselves

Your onto it... get them burning and they jump out by themselves

Yep, looks familiar - how I have always done them too. Only difference - always been inside with a shitload od smoke

why did you remove the subframe bushes? I have been thinking about doing this to mine as i will replace them will alloy bushes like has been done in my fc. Makes it a bit bumpier apparently but handling is increased in a drift car.

Just had the thought though that if they are that hard to get out, would there be any advantage to going alloy?

perhaps not alloy but definatly urathane. they are always hard to get out, even when they are farked. if you go alloy expect to break something as there will be f.a to take out all the vibrations.

what are urethane ones worth? Over here a lot of drifters remove them from s13's and skylines etc and replace them with alloy. A couple guys have even gone as far as filling the while rear end subframe with expanding foam that sets solid to make the rear end as stiff as possible.

Another thing that has been done is which i thought about is to make the bushes slightly smaller in height wise if that makes sense? Makes the subframe sit closer to the car which in a lowered car makes the independant control arms sit moreso to their origional optimum angle as some of the cars over here that have been lowered actually have the lower control arms facing upwards they get so low.

Probably not relevant but an idea if anyone has a low car?