Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

99 E38 Video Unit for 4:3 screen

This is a video unit in perfect working condition currently still installed in my 1999 NZ new E38 740i. Photo rto come when it is removed. This will only drive the 4:3 dash display. It will NOT drive the 16:9 display.

I'm after $250 for it.

I have a new video unit on the way to run a 16:9 upgrade screen (which I still havn't been able to find), luckily it will also run a 4:3 screen.

Edited by jimbo

Hey there. Sorry for sounding rather thick but what exactly do you mean by a video unit? I've got a MKIII screen I think, are you selling a module for TV or something? Because I'd be very interested.

Cheers.

Hey there. Sorry for sounding rather thick but what exactly do you mean by a video unit? I've got a MKIII screen I think, are you selling a module for TV or something? Because I'd be very interested.

Cheers.

The video unit mentioned is the "video module" or TV module.

The unit that operates TV &, when no nav is fitted, controls the screen graphics.

Clinton, if for your X5 - that has TV & nav already doesn't it? Also it will have a 16:9 screen

Mine is very fortunate to have sat nav, but not TV!!!!! - even my dealer has mentioned that very very few E53's had this option ticked. Because it has the nav, does this mean that the video module wouldn't be suitable hotwire? Mines also the widescreen version.

Edited by Clinton

Mine is very fortunate to have sat nav, but not TV!!!!! - even my dealer has mentioned that very very few E53's had this option ticked. Because it has the nav, does this mean that the video module wouldn't be suitable hotwire? Mines also the widescreen version.

This won't be suitable for widescreen.

My new unit is currently with Hotwire along with my Nav gear which he's tested and set up for me. Wish he was about 400km closer to Wellington LOL.

Jim

Bugger.

Would love to get my hands on a TV module. Great for watching the idiot box when waiting for the wife, clients or picking up takeaways haha!

I'd also love to see if it was feasible and at what cost it would be to upgrade my factory stereo to the DSP with twin sub woofers in the RH rear boot compartment.

That surprises me. Of the several NZ new E53's I have seen/dealt with have had widescreen monitor & TV but no nav. Since yours has nav I would have thought it would have had both - are you sure it hasn't? Does it have a reversing camera?

I have retrofitted nav to a couple.

No, this unit is no good for you. It is a 4:3 unit to operate a 4:3 screen. Would work but display would be in 4:3 format.

You require a 16:9 VM, not sure what wiring would pre exist, being that I haven't seen one without.

Almost all the Jap E53's I've seen have TV but no NAV, same with NZ New. Does anyone know how much the option was on E53 for sat nav?

EDIT: no reversing camera. Costs to install?

Edited by Clinton

Bugger.

Would love to get my hands on a TV module. Great for watching the idiot box when waiting for the wife, clients or picking up takeaways haha!

I'd also love to see if it was feasible and at what cost it would be to upgrade my factory stereo to the DSP with twin sub woofers in the RH rear boot compartment.

Yep TV great for those occasions, and have watched cricket a couple of times when it's been on TV3 & I have been going somewhere at the same time :)

I haven't seriously listened to sounds in E53's but have now had a few people comment to me about music sounding flat

A guy I supplied a reversing camera to, upgraded the speakers in his doors (to two way Fusion units I am told) & also added another realitively small amp & sub into the rear compartment where the factory option sub normally mounts. He said the improvement was very impressive.

I could imagine the factory non higher optioned speakers doing a rubbish job. I might look into upgrading these speakers, get some prices on higher end speakers.

Almost all the Jap E53's I've seen have TV but no NAV, same with NZ New. Does anyone know how much the option was on E53 for sat nav?

EDIT: no reversing camera. Costs to install?

Contradicts what I have seen: Ex Jap -if a screen, have both TV & nav. NZ new -like you say - just TV

Most ex Singapore E65's come with nav but no TV. Again, Jap have both.

Probably about an 8k option. A Mk4 nav unit is around 6k ex BMW NZ

Reversing camera - can't do without video module - this is where the camera inputs integrate.

The reason I asked was - if it did - it must have TV:-

Not doubting but - are you sure yours doesn't have TV?

Just had an 05 NZ E53 in at work yesterday - has TV, no nav. They are prewired for though

I could imagine the factory non higher optioned speakers doing a rubbish job. I might look into upgrading these speakers, get some prices on higher end speakers.

He sent me pics of the speakers he took out - they look feable.

Discussion on here about crap E53 sounds:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/...Upgrade-E53-X5/

People have bought those systems and for the money and the 15% gain in sound and what they promise.. it under delivers ...

Have a read around about them ... interesting what the forums say. Have a look on e46fanatics.

People have bought those systems and for the money and the 15% gain in sound and what they promise.. it under delivers ...

Have a read around about them ... interesting what the forums say. Have a look on e46fanatics.

Intersting Josh.

I've not had anything to do with them - just seen the site