Sign in to follow this  
leithcm

E36 - Front noise - wheel bearings?

Hi Guys,

Here is one for the diagnostic buffs. Just lately my E36 coupe 1996 has developed a noise from the front. It is a very rhythmical sound, like a "wow-wow-wow-wow" as you travel on smooth hotmix road. It is speed dependant, ie, speed up so the sound rises in pitch (but not volume), slow down and it does too. The nose is there regardless of whether the (auto) is in gear or not. Is this the first sign of wheel bearings starting to pack it in? The car has only just ticked over 48 k's, so would be surprised if it were. In the last week I have replaced front disc pads, but am sure the noise was there before I did this.

Noting on RealOEM the bearings appear to be in a hub and you buy the lot as an assembly, can the hub and bearing assembly be taken apart and the old grease cleaned and repacked - as you could do with conventional tapered bearings?

Thanks very much. :huh:

Hi Guys,

Here is one for the diagnostic buffs. Just lately my E36 coupe 1996 has developed a noise from the front. It is a very rhythmical sound, like a "wow-wow-wow-wow" as you travel on smooth hotmix road. It is speed dependant, ie, speed up so the sound rises in pitch (but not volume), slow down and it does too. The nose is there regardless of whether the (auto) is in gear or not. Is this the first sign of wheel bearings starting to pack it in? The car has only just ticked over 48 k's, so would be surprised if it were. In the last week I have replaced front disc pads, but am sure the noise was there before I did this.

Noting on RealOEM the bearings appear to be in a hub and you buy the lot as an assembly, can the hub and bearing assembly be taken apart and the old grease cleaned and repacked - as you could do with conventional tapered bearings?

Probably bearings or disks, hard to know for sure unless one has heard it.

48,000kms? 1996 E36? Really... Wheel bearings should last at least 100,000 miles anyway. From my experience on early Lexus models they dont go bad until at least 250,000ks.

Probably bearings or disks, hard to know for sure unless one has heard it.

48,000kms? 1996 E36? Really... Wheel bearings should last at least 100,000 miles anyway. From my experience on early Lexus models they dont go bad until at least 250,000ks.

From what you have described it will not be a wheel bearing, it will most likely be scalloped tyres. It is very very common with tyres that have been underinflated or cars with worn shocks, and most people think that it is wheel bearings.

Run your hand from the back to the front on the inside edge of the tyre. If it has an up and down feel to it (like a scallop shell funnily enough) then the tyre has scalloped and this wil be the cause of the noise.

The only way to fix is it to buy new tyres, which we can help with :D

cheers

Johno

Edited by zenetti

Thanks for your comments, I will check out the tyres. Had a wheel alignment about 4k ago; the tyres ( Pirelli Runflats) are getting down but would still have 3 - 4mm tread. The tread blocks are sharp edged towards the leading edge (ie, hits road first) and smoother at trailing edge. and are evenly worn across the tread from inside to outside.

It is a very rhythmical sound, like a "wow-wow-wow-wow" as you travel on smooth hotmix road. It is speed dependant, ie, speed up so the sound rises in pitch (but not volume), slow down and it does too. The nose is there regardless of whether the (auto) is in gear or not.

This part of your original post is what leads me to believe it is the tyres. Run Flats are notoriously hard and noisy anyway. How old are they?

Did you run your hand along the inside edge of the tyre from the front to the back? If it is not smooth the tyres wil be bmaking the noise you described originally.

cheers

Edited by zenetti

Youve got run flats on an E36 Chris ? You sure ? Why would you ?

Edited by *Glenn*

Youve got run flats on an E36 Chris ? You sure ? Why would you ?

They were on the wheels when I bought them. The wheels were off a Series 1 that JG Takapuna were "dressing up". Been on the car for 23k's now - about 3 years - supposed to have done about 6k's when I purchased. Yes, am aware of horrendous cost to replace, so when they "expire" will replace with something more suitable. Any suggestions?

Well, got the toss on two tyres for a WOF, both were on RH side of car. Some funny signs near the outer tread face, possibly starting to separate?? Not sure, but were down to touching the wear marks so got the WOF flick. So, instead of replacing 2 Pirelli Runflats fitted a complete set of standard tyres. Hey presto! Noise gone, and ride comfort up several notches!

Thanks guys for your help, comments re the tyres seemed to on the button. B)