Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

For the boy/man that has it all.

I doubt it will sell for too much. It's just a giant garden ornament. I'm not sure if it's this one or the two seater ( or both ) but it was bought by some crazy guy who decided he wanted to learn to fly in a MIG. A bit loopy I suspect. They'd cost thousands to get running, and to maintain them you'd need someone who is in NZ, an aircraft engineer, and can speak Russian.

Pretty cool to have sitting in ya paddock though :D

That's what i was thinking, a fricking huge MIG letterbox...or something for the neighbourhood kids to play in ;)

went to go see this not too long ago. just sitting in turners carpark with a fence around it.

its amazing to go see if you have a chance.

I remember there was an article a few years ago about a guy here in NZ who was trying to rebuild a similar plane. police turned up at his house saying that he wasn't allowed too. didnt stop him. so they went around again about a month later with a big truck and a crain

Police don't want him to build one because he'll have a more powerful plane than all of the new zealand airforce? haha.

you mean our airforce that consists of about two 40 year old hurcules and a couple westpac helicopters? :D

Sold for nearly 23k.

Pretty worthless

Sad it would never fly again. I wouldn't want to own something like that based on the fact its sole purpose was to fly and I won't be doing it anymore. It's like having a really awesome car that can't be operated.

Edited by Mike-E36

Meh, at least Jeremy Clarksons one is fully operational, and he parked it on his front lawn when he lived in the Cotswolds. His nieghbours hated him lol.

On the subject of the guy being told he wasn't allowed to rebuild a fighter. You need to read Bruce Simpsons book 'The Missile Man'.

He is THE MAN when it comes to building things that governments don't like, he LOVES pissing off the US govt', i'm a huge fan of his.

Check his website.

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/

went to go see this not too long ago. just sitting in turners carpark with a fence around it.

its amazing to go see if you have a chance.

I remember there was an article a few years ago about a guy here in NZ who was trying to rebuild a similar plane. police turned up at his house saying that he wasn't allowed too. didnt stop him. so they went around again about a month later with a big truck and a crain

Why? There are a number of privately own air worthy military jets in NZ.

Edited by mark247

Oh my, how stupid am I, I read it the other day thinking it had closed! ^_^

Meh, at least Jeremy Clarksons one is fully operational, and he parked it on his front lawn when he lived in the Cotswolds. His nieghbours hated him lol.

That is hilarious.

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for over 100g, there's many gold pocketed enthusiasts out who'd be keen to get their hands on it. And on the topic of it never flying again, who says it cant be done? There are many restoration outfits around Auckland alone, one of which is building a mosquito and a spitfire mk2 for two Texas businessmen. I'm very interested to see where it ends up.

Police don't want him to build one because he'll have a more powerful plane than all of the new zealand airforce? haha.

More likely that it is restricted military technology (albeit 1960's technology) and you need special permits etc to fly it. Bit like the problem we had with the Skyhawks being sold to the US etc...

Here's a good clip on youtube of one - shows you round the cockpit and then goes on to take off - I want one!

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for over 100g, there's many gold pocketed enthusiasts out who'd be keen to get their hands on it. And on the topic of it never flying again, who says it cant be done? There are many restoration outfits around Auckland alone, one of which is building a mosquito and a spitfire mk2 for two Texas businessmen. I'm very interested to see where it ends up.

I doubt very much it will ever fly again. You would need a engineer who knows Russian and who is qualified to work on MIG 21s and you would need a pilot current on them to teach whoever to fly it. Neither of which you would find in this country unfortunately.

Dont forget that the Mig 21 was one of if not the most popular fighter aircraft in the world - with more than 10,000 sold all over the world (Central America, China, India, Asia, Africa etc) so it would stand to reason that there is a fair number of people out there that would have the knowledge to maintain the Mig21. Parts are also still available for them so it is not impossible that this plane could be made air-worthy and fly again.

Edited by ducatiss

Dont forget that the Mig 21 was one of if not the most popular fighter aircraft in the world - with more than 10,000 sold all over the world (Central America, China, India, Asia, Africa etc) so it would stand to reason that there is a fair number of people out there that would have the knowledge to maintain the Mig21. Parts are also still available for them so it is not impossible that this plane could be made air-worthy and fly again.

Not impossible but just unlikely.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see a mig flying in NZ skies.

That cockpit is kinda scary :S

Immense amount of switches and knobs to play with and break.