Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

Moisture in the headlight

Hi all,

A recent visit to the mountain and I have found moisture in my headlight.

I've tried a rather long drive with the lights on however this has failed to clear.

Anyone know any tricks to this?

Tricks = $$$= New headlight.... you could take the bulbs out and use a vacuum cleaner on reverse cycle. Will dry it out , however the problem will probably persist. Plastic headlights & temperature... a bad mix unfortunately.. not just BMW either. We priced some 2005 E65 headlights yesterday.. $3,000 ea plus Gst + fitting.

Some wanker had cleaned them with thinners while repainting the bumper.. undercoat & final coat on the lenses as well. Rooted the lenses... parts not available seperately... new headlights only

Edited by *Glenn*

Hummmm......

I don't like the sound of that!

Well a hairdryer into the adjustment hole for 15mins has cleared that headlight. Will have to see if it comes back.

Tricks = $$$= New headlight.... you could take the bulbs out and use a vacuum cleaner on reverse cycle. Will dry it out , however the problem will probably persist. Plastic headlights & temperature... a bad mix unfortunately.. not just BMW either. We priced some 2005 E65 headlights yesterday.. $3,000 ea plus Gst + fitting.

Some wanker had cleaned them with thinners while repainting the bumper.. undercoat & final coat on the lenses as well. Rooted the lenses... parts not available seperately... new headlights only

And now there is moisture in there, the aluminium on the reflector will start to corrode. It's a vicious cycle, and the only real fix is a new lamp.

$3k each is taking the piss.... I know the technology like HID, bending and computer control etc is not cheap (I used to work for one of the OEM manufacturers) but they certainly don't cost that to make. A few fat margins in there before they get to you by the sound of it.

This is a real danger for those that own headlamps with polycarbonate lenses! It is well known that PC is super sensitive to chemical attack (I have personally melted a PC lamp during testing with a truck wash product made in NZ and in common use) and most modern headlamps are polycarbonate. Be careful with them folks or you will have an expensive lesson on your hands as Glenns customer found out!

I'd be passing the bill onto the painters at that cost, I simply cant believe it could cost that much

And another problem is that you cant just go and buy a knock off copy from the U.S as they will be setup for driving on the right hand side of the road. The U.K doesnt seem to have the same level of used and pattern parts that the U.S does for BMW.

I would thought it very obvious that you would NOT use paint thinner anywhere near a plastic lense...

I would thought it very obvious that you would NOT use paint thinner anywhere near a plastic lense...

Try telling that to the idiot who did it in Singapore

I simply cant believe it could cost that much

L/H Xenon headlight $3,051.04 + Gst

R/H Xenon headlight $2,787.52 + Gst

L/H Xenon headlight $3,051.04 + Gst

R/H Xenon headlight $2,787.52 + Gst

oh yeah there's no margins in those....

with one side $263.52 more than the other.

I have seen the odd long distance bus using these headlights. I wonder how much they cost new if you say it's for a bus?

Edited by M5V8

I have seen the odd long distance bus using these headlights. I wonder how much they cost new if you say it's for a bus?

Bus ??

yeah I swear I have seen intercity buses with e39 headlights

take a good look at these....post-5771-1282510995.jpg

Edited by M5V8

Mark of a true BMW fan, Spotting beemer looking headlights on a bus.

They do look similar. Your E39 ones won't cost as much as the E65 ones though

Mark of a true BMW fan, Spotting beemer looking headlights on a bus.

awww....shucks.

They do look similar. Your E39 ones won't cost as much as the E65 ones though

Well my hairdrier trick has worked so far.

I don't think there is a serious issue with the headlights seal or anything, the car was exposed to some pretty severe temperatures. If I can successfully get the moisture out they should be ok.

Edited by M5V8

Guest Simon*

I thought the E39 headlights on the buses was common knowledge?

I LOL every time I see them :D

well they are made by hella aren't they?

I wonder how much they would be if you could order direct from the manufacturer

In case you haven't been; take out the bulb when your blow drying.

In case you haven't been; take out the bulb when your blow drying.

cheers mate.... i did..... but also used the dryer on cool air too.

lights still work sweet as.

:)

Yes, they sell them as OEM lamps to some coachbuilders (their design seems to work OK where most modern headlamps don't fit with the flat front of the bus). The price difference could be down to exchange rates, and when the last delivery was (old stock etc). The passenger side always has the highest turnover on aftermarket lamps so that would be my guess as to why the L/H is cheaper unless there is a separate control computer in one.

well they are made by hella aren't they?

I wonder how much they would be if you could order direct from the manufacturer

Yes they are. Get a price from your local Hella dealer (Transport Wholesale, BNT, auto sparky) - I imagine they will be cheaper than BMW, but by how much is unknown.

Im feeling your pain Darren. Found this on my car this morning. Stone chip in my brand new llight, its now leaking <_<

post-538-1282621622.jpg

You gotta watch those bullets flying about in Surfers, don't you know how to swerve ??? :P

Ahh not in Surfers :P. Late night drive through Mt Tamborine twisties :)