Sign in to follow this  
jom

Fuel Rail connections

From experience....

After removing the fuel rail (amongst lots of other things) on my 328, when I had carefully marked which fuel line went to which pipe on the rail:

I plugged them back in. Note that without a lift (access from underneath), assembling from the top, with the fuel rail already bolted down....you can't see what you're doing.

So the marking that were so carefully applied are invisible.

Added to that, when your arm has been inserted in the too small space under the manifold so you can at least (painfully) feel the fuel hoses and the rail pipes, you get to the point where any hose on any pipe is a win.

Beware! Although the connections are identical, have no markings whatsoever, and no difference in length etc., it DOES MATTER which one goes where.

If you get it wrong there is no fuel pressure. No fuel pressure means no nice noise. In my case this turned my previously lovely E36 coupe into a very expensive garden ornament.

Thanks to Dion the towie and Mike the mechanic for getting it going again.

PS, I read the manuals, searched the web, and no-one said it mattered. Hopefully if you are searching too, you'll find this and learn....

Jo