Sign in to follow this  
Esprit

HELP... BMW Connector?

Hi all,

Nearing the completion of the build now on my Lotus and I've bought in a VDO oil pump to circulate the gearbox / diff oil through a laminova cooler.

The pump is a VDO #40504000100 which research tells me that VDO originally made exclusively for BMW Motorsport. I understand that this pump is used as a gearbox and/or diff cooler pump on some of the later M cars, although I've been unable to find out details.

What I'm looking for however is the DC electrical connector that the pump uses to connect so that I can integrate it tidily with my loom. Hours of scouring automotive connector catalogues has yielded nothing so I'm at a dead end. I'm wondering whether any of you BMW tech buffs recognise this as being a BMW proprietary or common connector as used either on the M-cars in this application or whether it's a more garden-variety BMW connector used across the range.

Obviously if anyone can supply me with a connector (either new, or snipped off a scrap loom with a suitable length fly-lead) I'm more than happy to pay.... right now any leads (pun intended) would be useful.

I've attached an image of the connector on the pump (with the ubiquitous NZ$1 coin for size comparison) below.

Thanks,

George.

Posted Image

Edited by Esprit

After 1.5 hrs... I've found it

Part # 61 13 1 378 417 $3.47 +Gst

Out of a E36 M3 3.2

You will also need two of the connectors to fit into it

Part # 61 13 0 005 197 $4.88 ea + Gst

All available X warehouse

Give me a call Ph. 2722546

Edited by *Glenn*

Glenn! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

How do I go about ordering these? I'm assuming you're in parts at BMW NZ? I'm based in Auckland so can come in and pick them up and pay when I come in, else I can organise to pay by VISA and you can have them sent to me.

So stoked... was fearing that this'd be one of those impossible-to-find bits and I'd have to improvise somewhat!

*EDIT* Just seen your phone number, will give you a call today.

Muchos Gracias!

Edited by Esprit

Your welcome. Come down to work and I'll show you the diagram as I don't have a plug here. If your happy I'll order it in.

Plug.doc

6 & 16 are the parts you need

Thanks again Glenn, was good to talk to you. Many thanks for all your efforts!

I've pasted below a link to the rebuild blog I'm doing on the car (it's been in the build for 2.5 years now, was only supposed to be a 6-month clean-up!). If you zip across to the most recent progress on the last few pages you'll see the work I've done around the gearbox oil cooler for the Quaife motorsport 6-speed gearbox I'm now running.

Between this connector and the ECU multi-pin connector I thieved off an old, broken E36 DME ECU, this forum has proven quite helpful to me in securing those little BMW parts-bin bits that'll help me finish the job :)

Lotus Exige S1 Rebuild

hehe welcome to bimmersport .. Ive been following your thread on the kids sandbox I mean GP forums

Aah Josh, I recognise you from Antiform :)

And yeah, I cross-post the blog on a few forums. A couple local, a couple international :)

I'm a long-timer lurker around these parts :)

Haha Tom... the sad thing is that when your car is built from bits of a million different manufacturers you need to be omnipresent on forums to keep the whole show running! :)

And Jed, Thanks! It's the very definition of something that's snowballed out of control but it'll be worth it when done, as I'm basically building one of my dream cars to my dream spec... something I'm very lucky to be able to do.

I've been offered silly sums of money to sell the car and could have turned a VERY tidy profit on it, but it's not for sale* and I'll be keeping this one for the long term.

* of course everything has its price, but you'd have to be insane to offer me a price I'd consider selling at.

Oh and just to add a public thanks to Glenn who's been sorting me out... MASSIVE thanks to him for going well above and beyond the call to sort me out with the bits I need.

Think of it as taking all the best parts available from different manufacturers George haha ..

Also if you need BMW diagnostics, let me know.

Have everything for you now George.. will have it all at work tomorrow... just give me a call or pop in any time after 7.00am. Might be out in the afternoon though, picking up the rocket

Awesome thanks Glenn,

I'll pop in during lunch and pick them up :)