Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Retrofiting a rear sunshade

I'm retro fitting an rear blind to a 1999 NZ New E38.

I thought this would be relatively easy BUT it isn't. I sourced my blind from a trader on trademe who was wrecking a 750i. I asked for the Blind and Switch. I got the blind with a promise thay would find the switch. They never did. The blind didn't have any mounting bolts, and the plug has beeen cut off.

It's only got two wires going to the blind motor, how hard could that be?

Turns out it is controlled by a 'switch centre' and blind plug pin 3 goes to pin 14 of the switching centre (white wire) , and pin 1 of blind plug goes to pin 15 of the switch centre (yellow wire). The blind switch goes to pin 20 of the switch centre (whitre/yellow wire). The blind motor is totlally controlled by the switching centre and all the switch does is cause it to change state (up, or down).

Unfortunately the switch centre is only fitted if the car had heated seats, active seats, or a rear blind. Mine had none of these so I need the switching centre control unit + associated plugs + a switch. Chances are I'll end up with switched for seat heaters as well, and no seat heaters.

Anyway for now I'm going to just connect about 3 meters of wire to the cut blind plug and leave it under the rear seat for another day.

I will physically fit the rear blind. i have sources the mounting bolts fdrom another trader from Christchurch.

have all the parts if you need.

just got a 740i in with rear blind etc

You could also use a polarity switching, sprung loaded, up/down toggle switch. Hella makes them... part # 4460

http://www.hella.co.nz/

Edited by *Glenn*