Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma Pictures

Hi All

I went to the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sunday. This is held on the Infineon Raceway in Sonoma in Northern California (about an hour away from where I live). Those with Grand Turismo should be familar with the track (although I can't recall, it may still be called Sears Point in the game).

It was a very good race. Of course three of the four of us there were supprting Scott Dixon (my father in law was the exception, he wanted Danica Patrick to win - he stopped watching IndyCar when the non-American drivers started to dominate).

Scott Dixon started 6th, and worked his way to 2nd with some very good driving, and pushed race winner Will Power right till the end, but Will Power was too strong (as he has been all season on the road courses).

Here is a link to my photos from the day.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2751...mp;l=2b4594734d

In addition to the race, I loved seeing the Shelby display which had three fully restored immaculate cars, an original GT40, a Shelby Daytona Coupe (one of six ever built, and one of the most successful race cars of its era) and a Shelby Cobra.

I also loved the display (and then race) for the old Formula 1 and IndyCar's that ranged frim the 1960's (an old Ferrari F1 car) to the early 1980's.

Next year we are thinking about staying trackside for the weekend, in a rented RV, starting Thursday night. Next to the stand we were in are a series of RV sites that are right on the side of the track. These are US$800 for the 4 days which covers the site itself and the three days of action on track.

We got to the track early on Sunday, and I was rather jealous of the people in their RVs cooking up breakfast on their BBQs and easing their way into the day.

Failing that we will most likely go to the race at Long Beach (in LA) or are even contemplating going to the Indy 500 (which could be costly as it is the other side of the country) to get some variety and see more than just the Sonoma race.