Sign in to follow this  
EVLBMA

2.3 E30 M3 -

Anyone know about the 2.3 E30 M3 engine? I've been playing with the idea of an engine transplant in an E36 318is M-sport. In theory the gearbox will mate up to the new block no problem. I've heard the m3 sump won't make friends with the E36 cross member.

Why bother? You may as well buy a real e36 M3. It will be way faster.

Why bother? You may as well buy a real e36 M3.

Good idea. Theres one on trademe for 24 grand if i remember rightly.

Guest Andrew

and aside from the fact you'll almost NEVER find one.

The S14 swap into an e36 has been done before.

Why not swap in a S52 and have 315 hp?

No, no, I think it is a good idea - wreck a perfectly good E30 M3 (after all, only c.17,000 EVER made) and put the mechanics in a mass produced E36.

Alternative, find E30 M3 engine and running gear - hmmn, not going to be cheap considering the number of owners who would buy just for spares.

Solution: buy an E36 M3 - they are cheap as chips now!

[solution: buy an E36 M3 - they are cheap as chips now!]

E36 M3's aren't cheap if you're only 20 even before you run into insurance trouble. The idea came up after talking to a guy about some engines he imported from Sth Africa. One of which I have seen running on an engine dyno at 241 hp @ flywheel. The M42 block is basicly the same design as the old E30 M3 block so will match up with the gearbox exactly. Noone has done this conversion to my knowledge and as we all know, it's getting hard to be original these days.

Guest Spargo

The M42 block is basicly the same design as the old E30 M3 block so will match up with the gearbox exactly. Noone has done this conversion to my knowledge and as we all know, it's getting hard to be original these days.

Wrong wrong wrong.

S14 is based on the older (c. 1960) M10.

S42 is based on the M42 - M44.

M10 is way larger than an M42 in every direction.

Its been done before. Look at any E36 touring car, pre 94.

E36 M3's aren't cheap if you're only 20 even before you run into insurance trouble....

Think carefully! Otherwise, I'll be buying an E30 M3 engine and parts from an advertisement reading something like "BMW project, floundered, ran out of cash, parts for sale ...." Buying the car is only half of it - maintaining it is the other!

I agree 20 is young to be looking at E36 M3s and spending $24-30k on a car. But, a good E30 M3 engine will set you back $10k minimum - although CiLK WuRM is my supply side economist and might have a better idea?

If raw speed (fast / quick for the pedants) is what you want - go Japanese.

Guest Spargo

But, a good E30 M3 engine will set you back $10k minimum - although CiLK WuRM is my supply side economist and might have a better idea?

Try c. 20-25K for a good 2.5 build dropping 270-280hp, J-man. That parts alone for a 2.3 to 2.5 conversion (using Sport Evo bits, will drop 225hp on a stock head) runs close to 6K NZ. Then you've got to put it together.

Used, as is, 2.3's go for 8-10K less a 'box.

Guest Spargo

This is about as "gooder" stroker parts list as you'll see without Group-A parts (hello 11K redline!).... wait for the price:

E30 M3 2.5L Engine Complete with Stage III Head:

This is a ready to run 2.5 Liter S14 with Stage 3 cylinder head with lots more, all the parts are listed below. Block was blast and magnafluxed, honed the block with deck plate, cleaned, and assembled in house by trained TMS technician. A conservative estimate on output from this engine, without a catalytic converter is 285 HP, but we have seen an engine with these exact mods make over 300!

E30M3 Stage 3 Turner Motorsport High Performance Cylinder Head

E30 M3 2.5-liter TMS Engine Conversion Kit:  2.5 Kit: Genuine BMW 2.5L crankshaft w/ bearings, nut and spacer for crank, 2.5L head gasket, M3 bottom end gasket set, Wiseco 2.5 forged piston set w/ rings (11.25:1 compression) Rod bolts and head bolts.

Motorsport Valve Springs

E30M3 Schrick Camshaft Set

New Valve Cover Gaskets

New Spark Plugs - XR4CS

E30/E36 M3 Timing Chain Tensioner Upgrade

New Timing Chain

New Crank Gear

New Side Timing Chain Guide

New Upper Chain Guide

New Tensioner Rails (Large & Small)

New Water Pump

New Rear Main Seal

New Oil Separator

New Oil Pump

TMS E30 M3 Oil Pan Baffle Kit

New Oil Filter

New Oil Filter Housing Rebuild Kit 

New Oil Pump Chain

All New Misc gaskets, O-rings, Sealant, Lubricants & Hardware

Group A Header With 02 Sensor Bung Installed, Header was Performance Coated.

Factory BMW Motorsport Big Bore Throttle Bodies (Used less than 5,000 miles)

Factory big bore trumpets  (Used less than 5,000 miles)

New Big Fuel  Injectors (Green Top)

Rebuilt Starter

Motor Brackets, Oil Filter Housing, P/S Bracket, Alt. Bracket, W/P Pulley

Cap & Rotor (Less than 500 miles, like new)

New "Evo" Red Connector Spark Plug Wires

New Valve Cover to Oil Separator Hose

New Accumulator to Oil Separator Hose

New Throttle Body to Idle Controller Hose

New Fuel Hose for Fuel Rail

TMS Motorsport Valve cover and Accumlator (Powdercoated and Clearcoated)

TMS Aluminum 9LB Lightweight Performance Flywheel (Used less than 500 miles)

$2500 Core Charge is Additional.  Refundable when a good core S14 is returned to us.

Price: $14,999.00 USD.

My contact will sell complete engine with mildly ground & polished ports for $1,800. Limited supply of parts (which would be a very wise investment) would be extra. I have seen this motor running on engine dyno. Apparently even engine mounts are not too far off. Only real headache i can foresee is the sump/crossmember relationship. This guy had 6 other motors, all brought over from South Africa at time of discussion. 1 of which is the later 2.5 4 cylinder block. Based on this, prices for whole exercise will be nowhere near the quoted $14,999.00 USD but thanks for the parts list.

E36 M3's aren't cheap if you're only 20 even before you run into insurance trouble

and what do you say to the insurance company AFTER the swap???insuring an m3 might be cheaper??

Guest Andrew

My contact will sell complete engine with mildly ground & polished ports for $1,800. Limited supply of parts (which would be a very wise investment) would be extra. I have seen this motor running on engine dyno. Apparently even engine mounts are not too far off. Only real headache i can foresee is the sump/crossmember relationship. This guy had 6 other motors, all brought over from South Africa at time of discussion. 1 of which is the later 2.5 4 cylinder block. Based on this, prices for whole exercise will be nowhere near the quoted $14,999.00 USD but thanks for the parts list.

on the $1800 M42 with S14 rocker cover - they are badass!

south africa didnt get the s14, as they didnt get the m3....which is why they had all the 2.7 325iS's and 333i's.

so how he found one over there......mystery

the same way someone might every now and then come across a 745i motor i guess? im sure it does happen