Sign in to follow this  
simke

E46 coupe - folding mirrors - how do these work?

So far (and its been a while since I've had this car now) I haven't figured out how to get mirrors to fold. Is this something that is done automatically but only if its been programmed as part of the key functions? Also when reversing and when passenger side mirror tilts downwards, after going back up it seems to go to a pre-defined position, and not to the position it was before tilting - which is pretty annoying. Is this again something that is defined as part of the key memory?

Cheers

If it is the same as my E39's it depends on what position you have the siding switch to adjust the mirror at.

One position the auto-tilt works, on the other position it does not.

Try it out, you will soon work out which position is which. B)

Auto tilt is working, no problem with that (except that it doesn't return the mirror to the exact position that it was before) - what I'm really trying to find out is the folding of mirrors - i.e. when you park your car you fold the mirrors so they don't stick out - this is what I haven't figured out how to do in my E46.

If your car has that option, it will have a square button next to the Left-Right switch. With ignition on just push it and they should park.

No such button, so I guess they can't be folded, even though from outside they look like they should be able to move. Oh well.

Thanks Glenn.

If your car has that option, it will have a square button next to the Left-Right switch. With ignition on just push it and they should park.

Yup Glenn is spot on, I have a little button next to mine that folds the mirrors, Can't say i have ever used them much in fact pretty much forget that the option is there to do it.

I am guessing you can have it coded for them to fold when you stop.