Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Mobile Ph Batt

9 month old phone. Battery won't hold charge for more than few hours. Retailer's phone technician's verdict? battery is stuffed (duh!).

Retailer's "english is my second language" call centre worker claims warranty of batt is only for 6 months. Retailer's "english is my second language" team leader agrees and refuses to acknowledge that the CGA applies as the battery is a consumable and they cannot guarantee that I have not misused it.

Feel like fighting them on principle. Anyone with experience in consumer law able to PM me some concrete facts so I can tell them to shove it and give me a new battery? A case law precedent would be nice.

Quick advice, was the phone a company purchase? If so items purchased by a company are not covered by the CGA. If its a personal purchase, then fire ahead.

What sort of phone? sometimes they have a recall notice, I've had a couple of phones with recall batteries.

Where was the phone purchased? If bought in a chain store and make a big enough (of firm but polite) fuss, you should be able to get it replaced at store level by the manager. Despite their hefty retail price tag, the actually cost relatively little.

I would say you are covered under s 7(1) of CGA where one of the guarantee criteria is that the good must be durable, as long as when the item was purchased, you did not agree to a discounted price or there are no notices on the packaging made about the lifespan of the goods etc.

It seems these days that manufacturers offer warrantees that expire too quickly and that do not represent a reasonable lifespan of the product.

Edited by Quailboy

Answers:

Private purchase

Phone is an LG GW300

From Noel Leeming

Was at advertised discounted price. Why would a negotiated discount change anything, Cale? I always ask, and usually get, a discount on everything I buy.

Currently dealing with the head office as the phone was sent away for confirmation of fault. Will go make a scene in the local store if I don't get any joy.

Would probably go so far as disputes tribunal if I had to. I'm in a fighting mood.

Good luck.

It's pretty common to have only a 6 month warranty on a battery as it's a "consumable".

Will be very interested to see how you go - fingers crossed customer service wins in the end!

Thanks Simon(s).

I guess that's the point Simon #2 - 6 month warranty on a battery?? You've got to be kidding. You can't contract out of CGA. That's why I was hoping for some case law - so I know if I have a leg to stand on.

Did you "condition" the battery when you first got it?

(Ie fully charge, run flat, fully charge, run flat etc)

Do you charge every night, or when the battery is flat only?

(It's better to charge only when flat)

Do you often go in and out of coverage?

(A phone uses lots of power trying to reconnect to a network)

These are the questions you will need to be prepared for!

Thanks Simon(s).

I guess that's the point Simon #2 - 6 month warranty on a battery?? You've got to be kidding. You can't contract out of CGA. That's why I was hoping for some case law - so I know if I have a leg to stand on.

Battery has had normal use. Was properly boost charged and a couple of full discharge cycles. Mostly charged only when flat, but as with all things, occasionally not - but that would be the exception, not the rule.

I'm very comfortable with my position that it is a faulty product, not user error.

there is really no way to f**k a battery in 9 months without water or trying to kill the phone.

At DSE its a 12 month warranty so don't know why they would do 6?

its probably staff members not wanting to deal with all the hassle phone repairs are.

Good luck and don't give up.

[blue or pink?]

LG has 6 month battery warranty, just checked with MFR ( the service agent) and they said they would reject a phone with a battery not holding charge over 6 months old.

in saying that it shouldn’t really be to much of an issue to get it replaced. i would personally be talking directly with LG rather than the store. I have personally never had a phone rejected because of a 6 month warranty (a lot of manufactures actually have this) on a bat. if you do want to follow it up with LG the number is

0800 666 780

Edited by Mobbin

Cheers.

Pink - bought it for Keiti, not me. I'm a Nokia fanboy. Matches well with the pink digicam, and the hairdresser-mobile. (mr2)

Agree with Steve. Don't bother dealing with the retail store at all. They know nothing and have the same weight as you do. You need to get ahold of the LG rep. They bend over to keep customers happy.

Back when I was working for VF there was quite a few manufacturers changing to 6 month warranties on their batteries. We did question the legality but never pursued an answer.

Edited by driftit

You should keep dealing with the store as CGA states the retailer has to provide the replacement, and then the retailer is to take the issue up with the manufacturer of the item.

Progress: Things are looking up! The store manager has verbally agreed to refund the $55 repair bond, and supply a new battery. But until it eventuates I'm still crossing fingers.

And finally the new battery arrived yesterday. So success. In all, three trips to the store including the original trip to return the ph, and one long ph call.

They still wouldn't admit they were wrong though. just sick of me I think.

They still wouldn't admit they were wrong though. just sick of me I think.

Had the same issue with Bond and Bond (same group) when our old Samsung plasma died 6mths out of warranty, after many phone calls recalling the CGA & manufactures specs and how the product did not meet either = new TV in the end.