Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Coby or Resonator

Looking at getting a new Coby or Resonator for my E30 318i exhaust system. Am wanting to try quieten it down a bit but I want to keep my a/m eurostyle muffler. The current resonator is old & rusty (you shake it & can hear inside is all crumbled etc).

My question is, what would be best - noise wise? Not looking for power (1.8 engine, so no point).

Is a Coby or Res' best to help try quieten it? A guy at a muffler shop gave me a quote (not going to indulge in the price) but cant remember if was for Coby or Res' but price included everything - but no gaurantees it would work.

Opinions & Suggestions on what to pick?

Edited by Shady

If you want to quieten it - put a fluted resonator on it

Not to jack your thread, but I have a couple of cobys avail, I bought to use on my old E30 but never did.

post-1430-1284541812.jpg

post-1430-1284541823.jpg

If you want to quieten it - put a fluted resonator on it

Whats the diff between fluted & non-fluted?

Not to jack your thread, but I have a couple of cobys avail, I bought to use on my old E30 but never did.

How much?

Whats the diff between fluted & non-fluted?

How much?

That second picture is a fluted one

Looking at getting a new Coby or Resonator for my E30 318i exhaust system. Am wanting to try quieten it down a bit but I want to keep my a/m eurostyle muffler. The current resonator is old & rusty (you shake it & can hear inside is all crumbled etc).

My question is, what would be best - noise wise? Not looking for power (1.8 engine, so no point).

Is a Coby or Res' best to help try quieten it? A guy at a muffler shop gave me a quote (not going to indulge in the price) but cant remember if was for Coby or Res' but price included everything - but no gaurantees it would work.

Opinions & Suggestions on what to pick?

Coby is a brand name. They make exhaust components.

A resonator is an exhaust component.

If you are wanting to quieten it down shouldn't you be looking for a muffler rather than a resonator?

Edited by e38king

I dont know. Its what the muffler man said. Coby or Resonator? I dont know the difference, thats why I went to a shop.

Can you get mufflers that go in the middle of the system? Not changing the tip, as I already stated in OP.

Just put the one I recommended if you want it a bit quieter

As Tony said - Coby is a BRAND - They make various exhaust components.

They are often misinterpretted by Joe Bloggs with their description.

A straight through Coby IS a resonator - as is any other brand of the same configuration - being straight through.

Resonators also come in the oval shape.

They do though, vary in internal structure - some (as most, but not all) Coby versions have a straight inside tube with holes in that tube.

A fluted type (as in second picture above) (and Coby also do a version of) has perferated flutes which are directional.

When they are placed in the system with the openings facing forwards - they in effect "catch" the gasses as they pass through - creating a quieting effect - over the standard version.

Both are still resonators - straight through.

Got to ask the question though - why can't your "exhaust man" clarify things for you & guide you to a suitable solution for what you are wanting?