Sign in to follow this  
Dr. M

Offensive?

Posted Image

Ok or not ok? Got my attention...

Edit: Sorry no bigger pic, came from a overseas bimmer site.

Edited by NZ_BMW

Nah the Luftwaffe is a general term for the german airforce... The bird however is

Luftwaffe

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the air force of Germany. For other uses, see Luftwaffe (disambiguation).German Air Force

Luftwaffe

Luftwaffe (German pronunciation: [ˈlʊftvafə] ( listen)) is a generic German term for an air force. It is also the official name for two of the four historic German air forces, the Wehrmacht air arm founded in 1935 and disbanded in 1946; and the current Bundeswehr air arm founded in 1956.

Schweizer Luftwaffe is also the name of the Swiss Air Force in German (Forces aériennes suisses in French and Forze Aeree Svizzere in Italian). Two other historic German air forces are the World War I-era Luftstreitkräfte and the Luftstreitkräfte der NVA in the GDR. The air force of Austria is called Österreichische Luftstreitkräfte.

The Reichsadler how ever is very much a NAZI party logo...

Posted Image

If you surf the internet you'll find lots of things that are offensive... I could post all day... just move on...does it really matter ??

Negativety and arguements on certain subjects are not what this forum is about... Lets move on and talk about BMW related subjects... No offence intended to the OP. Most of the ones on here wouldn't even know what the Reichsadler represents, and to alot of older people the Reichsadler is offensive.

BMW started off making aeroplanes, hence the propeller logo that we still see today.

As Heath has already mentioned Luftwaffe has no relevance to Nazi Germany, it's just as our RNZAF is to New Zealand.

The main German airline is called Lufthansa.........

The bird however is

The Reichsadler how ever is very much a NAZI party logo...

Posted Image

There is a difference between the eagles depending if they look left or right.

Reichsadler ('Empire's eagle)

Parteiadler ("Party's eagle").

These two insignia can be distinguished as the Reichsadler looks to its right shoulder whereas the Parteiadler looks to its left shoulder.

I don't find it offensive, just as i'm not offended by the "swastika" which in reality is an ancient symbol of many many people of many many races and faiths.

Cheers Heath great summary. Luft = air, hence LUFT hansa/waffe. Caught my interest as I've seen quite a few German political symbols on Bmw's recently and wondered if this overstepped the line.

Glenn, no offence caused and point taken. Certainly wasn't posting to start an argument.

Personally i don't find it offensive as opposed to a Swastika but I think if you put it on a car you would be risking your car getting done over, by someone who does take offence too it...whether we find it offensive or not.

Personally i don't find it offensive as opposed to a Swastika but I think if you put it on a car you would be risking your car getting done over, by someone who does take offence too it...whether we find it offensive or not.

Just dont park your car at the RSA - earlier post somewhere about this

^ Read that & thought that was extreme, if motive was German origin of car. Haven't heard of any cases where Japanese cars are vandalized. Surprised original car hasn't been done over - he is in eastern Europe after all. I'm not interested in putting the sticker on my car, thats for sure! I'm American of Polish descent :D