Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Inside Windscreen Film/Haze

The inside of the windscreen on the Passat gets a haze/film on it very quickly.

I have very thoroughly cleaned it, and then within a couple of weeks I need to wipe the haze/film off again.

What could be causing this. We have had lots of hot weather (high 30's low 40's) and I am thinking it maybe the heat reacting with something (maybe some product that has been used on the dash before?).

Any ideas/tips to get rid of it once and for all? I quite look having a clear look out of the windscreen, especially when driving into the sun.

Could be a slight leak from the evaporator plate or heater matrix in the heater box Grant

Hey Grant, I recall reading the same thing as what you suggested - that some products that were applied to the dash gradually release some sort of gas... a Google showed this - http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/whats...ndshield-44902/

See the post at the bottom - I've also been using 303 Aerospace Protectant for years and I haven't noticed any fogging from the product. It leaves a nice matt look too compared to a shiny greasy finish from silicone products.

I have no idea why but I would thend to say it's the dash protectant getting evaporated. I clean all windows every second week, so it's not too bad.

Could be a slight leak from the evaporator plate or heater matrix in the heater box Grant

Thanks Glenn, I'll get the father-in-law to take a look

Hey Grant, I recall reading the same thing as what you suggested - that some products that were applied to the dash gradually release some sort of gas... a Google showed this - http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/whats...ndshield-44902/

See the post at the bottom - I've also been using 303 Aerospace Protectant for years and I haven't noticed any fogging from the product. It leaves a nice matt look too compared to a shiny greasy finish from silicone products.

That's what I was thinking as a possibility. I have certainly not used anything to clean/protect the dash, however who knows that may have been used in the past.

It isn't cigarette smoke, I and my wife are non-smokers.

I'll monitor it now that the weather is cooling down a bit. I don't recall having the issue last fall/winter/spring, just in the last 4 or 5 months when the weather has been really warm, and the car has sat in direct sunlight for 99% of that time.

It is easy to clean, a quick wipe with a clean cloth gets rid of it quickly, it is just a pain in the ass.

Edited by Grant

Stop making excusses for your greasy greasy pits.

I considered that, so in the last while have taken extra care to keep my pits greaseless. I even drive, when possible, with my arms above my head so that I can get plenty of fresh air to the pits. If I get funny looks, I just start doing a Jersey Shore fist pump to try and make it look legit. However that seems to result in even more funny looks (as I don't look very much like a guido).

On a driving course at work we were taught not to put armour all and other silicon based cleaners on the dash area, as the heat reacts with it and it creates the film on the wind shield..