Sign in to follow this  
320I

Possibly overfilled Oil?

I have owned my car for 4 years now, but today was the first time I have ever done an Oil change myself on this car, So for the whole 4 years the oil level has been at about the #1 level on the photo at the top of that gap.....it was always serviced by a BMW mechanic so I assumed it was correct, so I made sure the level was at that point today after I did the change, however I was just reading a post on another BMW forum and they were saying its very bad to fill over #2 and right now its risen and just sitting a tad above #1.....I have never had any problems, but could this be doing harm?

Should I do something? or will it be ok?

Posted Image

Thanks =)

Edited by 320I

The oil level should be between #1 & #2. The difference between the two stops is about .2 of a litre. Dont fill over #1 unless it's for a track day and then only add .5 of a litre. The difference between #1 & #4 is only half a litre.

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks Glenn!

Sorry I'm just learning how to do stuff on the car properly so I might sound like a noob but someone just told me I should drain some of it out?....is this really necessary?

Thanks Glenn!

Sorry I'm just learning how to do stuff on the car properly so I might sound like a noob but someone just told me I should drain some of it out?....is this really necessary?

Not if its between #1 & #2.... #1 is maximum oil level #3 & #4 is minumum safe level... below #4 is unsafe operating level

Edited by *Glenn*

What damage (if any) can it cause if it is slightly over #1? Ever since I've had my BMW, its been just over #1 level, and after every oil change its had, they fill it up to that same level.

What damage (if any) can it cause if it is slightly over #1? Ever since I've had my BMW, its been just over #1 level, and after every oil change its had, they fill it up to that same level.

Slightly over won't hurt... I run .5 litres over all the time... more than that could cause issues though.

I was just tinkering and thought Id measure how much its over and its about a 1/2cm when cold, but when hot its perfectly at the #1 level....

I hate when people think they know your car better than you do, according to the guy at Repco when I bought the oil it should be near the very top of my dipstick on a BMW and that everyone with a BMW who dosn't is running them dry and that 6l of oil was gonna be way too much and to buy a 4l pack, because he has owned everything European and he should know!....what bullshit! (I feel sorry for the person who listens to his advice)

Thanks again for your help Glenn, put my mind to rest =)

+1. also feel kinda sorry for the person at the petrol station who is getting sucked into buying a litre of oil and getting there car over filled because the guy checking it doesnt know what hes doing and doesnt realise that just after you switch the motor off some oil is still sitting around the engine. just interested in selling them the oil...

and then i remember the owner is nieve enough to let them...

I was just tinkering and thought Id measure how much its over and its about a 1/2cm when cold, but when hot its perfectly at the #1 level....

I hate when people think they know your car better than you do, according to the guy at Repco when I bought the oil it should be near the very top of my dipstick on a BMW and that everyone with a BMW who dosn't is running them dry and that 6l of oil was gonna be way too much and to buy a 4l pack, because he has owned everything European and he should know!....what bullshit! (I feel sorry for the person who listens to his advice)

Thanks again for your help Glenn, put my mind to rest =)

He knows alot then doesn't he :rolleyes: Bloody scary that someone in a place like that is offering vulnerable people incorrect information. There would hardly be a BMW engine that holds under 4 litres of oil in the system. Maybe m10/M40:-

He knows alot then doesn't he :rolleyes: Bloody scary that someone in a place like that is offering vulnerable people incorrect information. There would hardly be a BMW engine that holds under 4 litres of oil in the system. Maybe m10/M40:-

None that I know of

Oh good as thanks for that Glenn. Yea, was just wondering because last time it had a service it took 6 litres, and this service he said it took 7 litres i was a bit :huh: .

Just on the topic of the actual type of oil.....I put in 15w-40 Valvoline Engine Armour....reason being it had ACEA A3 & B3 spec on the back which I read is approved for BMW and it was on sale for $29 for a 6L bottle.....

Anyway I just wanna know what you guys think I should put in at my next oil change and what grade?

Car is just approaching 200K now...

Just on the topic of the actual type of oil.....I put in 15w-40 Valvoline Engine Armour....reason being it had ACEA A3 & B3 spec on the back which I read is approved for BMW and it was on sale for $29 for a 6L bottle.....

Anyway I just wanna know what you guys think I should put in at my next oil change and what grade?

Car is just approaching 200K now...

I always use castrol 10-40w cause for the buck it works well, but I heard 15-40 is the dilley. I use just over 6 1/2 litres for my changes when the filter is done too. I change the filter every other one and it seems to hold up, mind you I do oil changes every 10k at it runs well me thinks.

Would I use more expensive stuff...nah I aint a track day hero, its auto so I am hardly ever red-lining the thing anyways. I see some other countries use many other grades, but NZ is pretty moderate I think, so we dont really need the broad grades like you may do in countries with more extreme weather patterns.

I dont anything really. oh I use semi-synthetics too, cause of the hoodoo.

L

Thanks for that guys, cause I wasn't sure if I got it horribly wrong, but want to start doing stuff myself....