Sign in to follow this  
E36ShoppingTrolley

My indicators work, then stop working? E30 325i

so when i start driving my indicators work fine, then if i drive for a wee while, or sometimes even randomly, they stop working. then if i stop, my indicators will work then die. all the other electrics work however. could it be the altenator? any ideas?

Where is the best place to go to find out what the problem could be, and get it fixed?

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Its probably the flasher unit... do your hazard lights fail at the same time ??

easy fix then. just need to replace the flasher unit. i cannot recall exactly where abouts its located, perhaps on the steering collum? someone else can confirm, but its a simple unplug and replace.

what would be the cheapest place to get a new flasher unit, and would it be hard to do for me, with very limited labour skills or would it be better to get the new unit installed?

You can get them used from any wrecker, though I am sure Supercheap etc have new ones too. The flasher unit is under your steering column, it is a little black box, the lower steering column cover unscrews, you will need to take the steering wheel off first to gain access to two of the screws then the other two are under neath on the column panel itself further down towards the pedals, easy job.

Edited by Brams

Or if inclined - you can dismantle & fix it. Fault usually a dry solder joint on the board