Sign in to follow this  
Matty104

Workplace tool insurance?

Hey guys,

Just wondering weather anyone has had to insure there own tools that they use/keep at work.

My previous employer's insurance covered all the employee's tools if they were to be stolen or in a fire etc,n I have just relocated to New Plymouth and my new employers require me to organise my own insurance. (tools will always stay in the workshop overnight and weekends etc)

I've called my broker and they basically say that i can take out a contents policy on them (with a HUGE premium and excess) which will only cover them up to $1000, But i need atleast a $5000 cover on them to come close to replacement value.

Anyone had to do this before?

The problem is... you can't insure something unless you own it. I can't insure my staff's tools either

Hmm.. All my tools are insured by my employer, even for breakage. I bust it, they replace it, someone pinches it, they replace it. I wonder if they just cover it and call it insurance, im sure they would have some sorta insurance on it though.

I contracted for a bit, got it all worked out and valued at over 30k, but I assumed my contents insurance would cover most. Probably wrongly.