Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Can I remove the fan on the engine??

I saw there's a fan on the engine, there also another one on the radiator.

What does the fan on the engine do? Does it act sort of like a flywheel?

But mine's an automatic (don't laugh!!)

Does Flywheel in Manual = Torque Converter in Auto??

Can I remove it so it rev-up a bit quicker?

While on that topic, what's a good way to increase low end response & torque for a BMW? I've got a K&N panel already. I want to stick with Natual Aspirated, no NOS please.

I rewired sparkel's a/c fan the run off a switch as well as on it's normal low speed a/c cycle (they only run like 6v as there's a resistor wired in paralell in the circuit, which we bypassed on the switching circuit toget it to run at full capacity) just as extra cooling in traffic/caning etc...

IMO, it's not worthtaking the viscous off UNLESS you hook up a proper stand alone electric fan, with an over-ride switch so you can make it manually turn on in case you need to, sparkle's is now excessively cooled with both, so doesn't use it much... rules in traffic tho ^_^

In my E36 I had problems with the viscous coupling on the 'engine fan', the temp would build very quickly - thankfully I kept an eye on this and the car never overheated.

The fan is obiously there for a reason, if you sit in traffic and put you foot down you will hear it doing it's job.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the fan you can see through the grill is for the air conditioning?

what is "water wetter" - it comes with the delete kit.... I thought water was already wet? :huh:

Water Wetter apparently makes your coolant more efficient at removing heat - or perhaps in transferring heat - something like that - I have no experience with it but Im sure you could do a google and find all the info on it.

Common mod in the States,remove the fan set the aux fan to switch on at a lower temp.Saves the problem of exploding fans I guess.

As for improving low end torque,probably not very much you can do.Engine is tuned with this in mind remember.Unless you restrict it further you might be pushing siht up hill.

rules in traffic tho ^_^

you have traffic?

you have traffic?

what up dredging old threads back. Cams banned for f**ks sake!

traffic hard, in palmy, well sort of.

def not feilding tho

Did it, it works, no overheating probs even in traffic

Do you gather the bits locally or did you buy kits from overseas? How long did that take you to do it? How difficult was it? (say, 1 being change tyres, 10 being complete engine tear down rebuild) Did you feel anything performance-wise?

I didn't do the water wetter thing, I took off the fan

(which was giving me grief anyway, kept catching on the shroud)

and got a new thermostat from my mechanic 80 degree one

and just kept an eye on the temp and I had no probs.

the front fan comes on with A/C or when it gets over 90

so I haven't redone that switch yet, but the only time it might cause a prob

will be on a stinking hot day when you have been sitting idling for quite a while.

as to power, in theory there should be a couple of horsies in it

but I can't say I noticed it not really. you know how it is, it seems different but it could be imagined