Sign in to follow this  
5amchris

Price of gas.

So if petrol goes under $1 a litre, would you accept a job with the minimum wage of $5 as it was at the time and all the benefits that higher gas prices bring? ie. new roads. Think about it.

I should've kept the Honduh. Oh well, driving is a hobby for me anyway. It just means I have to forgo more in order to drive as much as I used to. Probably a good thing

Monster Energy Drink is on special at BP, two for $5. Not bad.

And that is why diesel RUCs badly need overhauling by the govt. Anything under 2 tonnes for private use should be on a different scheme <_<

There's not much economy in it anymore and the good euro diesels are a bit wasted here

IMO it should be 3 ton because most 4WD's are 3 ton & under. It is still cheaper but the gap has closed in the last few years. I just done a 550km trip towing and used half a tank over the weekend costing aprox $80 including RUC. If it had been my old V8 X5 it would have used a tank easily aprox 170 bucks.

So if petrol goes under $1 a litre, would you accept a job with the minimum wage of $5 as it was at the time and all the benefits that higher gas prices bring? ie. new roads. Think about it.

Yep, seeing as I'm a student pretty much living off my loan because I can't fit any working hours into my Uni schedule I wouldn't mind if it was like that B)

Yeah ok, that sounds fair, if they actually DO fix the roads up!

Monster Energy Drink is on special at BP, two for $5. Not bad.

Yeah, but not as good as two 500ml Mother drinks for ~$3 at shell :ph34r:

Why the hell would we want to encourage more 4wds.

It's not encouraging it.

Some people's requirements other than your own sometimes require the use of a SUV or 4WD. My needs suit what I have, your needs suit what you have I guess.

But that's exactly what it would do, encourage more use of them. yay.

And 99 percent of 4wd owners' needs are no different than mine.

But that's exactly what it would do, encourage more use of them. yay.

Sorry, I can't understand why that is a bad thing. If someone buys a 4WD then it's up to them, it has nothing to do with anyone else.

Things have to be different up your way, down here people do use their 4WD for what they are intended for. Not 100% of them but it has to be a higher percentage.

i agree, in my part of town every mother thinks they need a 4wd to keen get up their slightly steep driveway.

Things have to be different up your way, down here people do use their 4WD for what they are intended for. Not 100% of them but it has to be a higher percentage.

Pussy Aucklander in their X-Four Trails.

So so hard in the South.

another CHCH winner

i agree, in my part of town every mother thinks they need a 4wd to keen get up their slightly steep driveway.

Same thing down here...you want to talk about 4x4 craziness, go too Texas!! Not only did i have to worry about driving on the other side of the road but the thousands of soccer mums in their fricken ridiculously HUGE Dodge rams, Fords, Chevs etc i was crapping myself every time one came near me in my hire car (VW Jetta) :blink:

Pussy Aucklander in their X-Four Trails.

So so hard in the South.

That's just Christchurch :P

I wonder if the price of prostitutes are going up too? Dirty f**king is classed as a service right?

Edited by antil33t

its going up to 15% like everything but its also going up more!

Cant find anything to say when or how much its going up but why?

Sorry but they are driving me insane with all the price changing sh*t.

Everything bought retail has an additional 2.5% as GTS is going from 12.5% to 15%. Petrol has an additional tax and is still dirt cheap here - try driving in Europe.

Your personal income tax goes down though so more money to pay the addiitonal GST.

It is stil not expensive compared to a lot of places in the world. And it will only add about $8-$10 to a FULL tank of gas. How many of you here fill up completely?

my aunty sent me an email to rub it in that in Western Aussie, the 91 octane has dropped to $1 a litre

Sorry, I can't understand why that is a bad thing. If someone buys a 4WD then it's up to them, it has nothing to do with anyone else.

they block a lot of visibility on the roads and car parks, and around Wellington the people who drive them think they are better than everyone else and drive with that attitude

guess its a bad time to get 2 more cylinders then eh?

it's never a bad time :)

Guest Simon*

If we're all honest we know that BMW (like many manufacturers) don't make 4WD's for offroad. The torque is designed to get it moving quickly on a hard surface, they'd get stuck on wet grass, certainly can't dig themselves out of trouble!

A proper 4WD has difflocks, low ratios for proper traction, and very short overhangs - most modern (and predominantly Euro 4WD's) are a marketing gimmick. So are all CRV's, RAV4's, etc etc

Clinton, your X5 may as well be RWD - would it honestly make any difference to your daily use???

+1

It is stil not expensive compared to a lot of places in the world. And it will only add about $8-$10 to a FULL tank of gas. How many of you here fill up completely?

what are you thinking.I regularly put 62 litres in my 535,and i bet not many put more than that.62 litres at 7 cents a litre is only 4.34!

Clinton, your X5 may as well be RWD - would it honestly make any difference to your daily use???

It would make a difference to living above the snowline and our trips to Queenstown and skiing, it would also make a difference to where our crib is on hilled gravelled roads. Try towing in these situations without 4WD. Try towing and launching & retrieving my inlaws 2.5 ton boat.

Regular fishing would also have to be eliminated as although my X5 isn't designed for offroad it would be useless compared to a 5 series getting to my fishing areas, especially towing through light river crossings.

Ok, 2WD 80% of the time. So what you're saying is that I should buy a 4WD with difflocks to get up to the ski fields and tow my ATV around? I couldn't have done the trip I did last weekend without 4WD.

Tell you what: Put a 5 series against a diesel X5 towing and doing what I'm doing for a living and see what the difference would be. Compare them. I'm not defending my purchase because I don't have to, I bought my vehicle because I wanted it and because it suits our needs.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Guest Simon*

Not having a go either ;)

But I still stand by my statement. Look at the tyres that come standard on them - they're road tyres right? People still managed to do all those things before cool 4WD's came along! Chains on the back of the Mk4 'Tina got us up Cardrona and TC almost without fail. Hell the buses even got through.

I'll give you your 2% "offroad" usage. This time! :D

It would make a difference to living above the snowline and our trips to Queenstown and skiing, it would also make a difference to where our crib is on hilled gravelled roads. Try towing in these situations without 4WD. Try towing and launching & retrieving my inlaws 2.5 ton boat.

Regular fishing would also have to be eliminated as although my X5 isn't designed for offroad it would be useless compared to a 5 series getting to my fishing areas, especially towing through light river crossings.

Ok, 2WD 80% of the time. So what you're saying is that I should buy a 4WD with difflocks to get up to the ski fields and tow my ATV around? I couldn't have done the trip I did last weekend without 4WD.

Tell you what: Put a 5 series against a diesel X5 towing and doing what I'm doing for a living and see what the difference would be. Compare them. I'm not defending my purchase because I don't have to, I bought my vehicle because I wanted it and because it suits our needs.

i would love a 530d touring

your petrol and diesel price rise is because our goverment joined the ETS (emission trading scam ) and i think we are the only one in it at the moment . + 2.5 GST