Sign in to follow this  
thirdkide30

Gearbox/trans problem

Took my car for a ride today and dont know what happened but the reverse is not working. Park works but when on neutral it will go forward and will work like 1. On reverse it wont move anywhere but reverse lights are on and if you floor it, the revs only go up to 2000-2500rpm and wont go any further. All others (1,2,3 and drive) all work as normally. What could be wrong?

Low (1st) gear clutches are seized... it's a rebuild or manual conversion I'm afraid

give ray @ hellbm (forum sponsor) a phone .. im sure he has a auto box for a 320 laying around second hand.

Was afraid of that. If i was to get an auto box, is it easy to DIY?Do have mechanical skills but if it requires a lot of work might aswell get ray to do it. And what does it consist of?

^ pulling an auto box out on the garage floor is not fun, and i would hate to imagen trying to put one back in as those auto boxes arnt light when their stuck on your chest and your trying to prop it up with your knees to put it in.

you will have to remove exhaust, driveshaft, drain all the oil (lots of it), unbolt the tourque converter, remove the box, put the new one in with the reverse of above, then will need to fill with oil, which means, fill box with oil until it starts overflowing. (provided fill plug is on the side. if not fill to the full mark down the dipstick tube.) start vehicle go through the gears, ie p,r,n,d, and back to p. (hold it in each one for about 1 second or so). turn off car, check and fill oil, and repeat untill it stays full.

not to say it cant be done but imo unless i had a hoist i wouldnt bother.

Edited by -Oli-

there is several options

1, recondition the box, $$$$

2, replace with secondhand, that is just as old and life expectancy unknown

or thirdly manual conversion,

either way you will be spending a bit of money

give me a yell for advice or to clarify things more clearly

cheers

Jon

04 3801089