Sign in to follow this  
polley

Google maps wireless networks to address's

While google were out taking pictures for street view they were also mapping wireless networks.

If you know your wireless mac address enter it on this site: http://www.samy.pl/mapxss/

Obviosuly the XSS wont work here as I doubt anyone is using a verizon router.

Changed router recently. So doesn't work. Also not broad casted anymore due to kid neighbors trying to crack WEP key. Now Mixed WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK. Should take them a while longer to crack that.

Dosent matter even if ssid broadcast is disabled. MAC address is still broadcast as part of the unencrypted parts of the packet.

But yeah, didnt work here either as just got a new router :/

Thats pretty crazy.. just goes to show that security needs to be taken seriously

Here are some mac addresses that are close to me if anyone wants to see it working..

As for hidden essid (not broadcasted) the second one isnt broadcasted, just takes a few minutes for it to be shown under airodump or kismet.

Only one of these are pin point accurate, one is completely wrong so obviously if you move it displays the location of where it was recorded..

B4:82:FE:A8:EA:CB

00:21:63:EA:2C:29

00:18:4D:9A:6A:A4

00:1B:2F:4D:7F:60

I use firefox with noscript that blocks all scripts from running, very useful..

As for passwords, i always use a random password generator, if youre password is a word in a dictionary then your pretty stuffed, and wep should not be used at all, it only takes 3-4 mins max to break.

I had a play with WEP Cracking, you really need a fair bit of information travelling around the network in order to collect enough packets to allow it to be cracked successfully.

Couldn't collect enough packets with normal web surfing, and took about an hour when transferring data over the wireless

Once this was done though, only took about 15min to get the key.

Was more an interest thing and switched everything back to WPA after that

With wep cracking there is a tool called aireplay-ng which you can use to generate traffic..

Which if your wireless nic supports it this will work.

Wpa you need a client to be online then you just need to send a deauth message then when they re connect you've got all you need, as long as it's a good password you'll be safe..

There is no difference between Wpa/wpa2 if it's an easy password.

All my cracking is on my own router by the way.. Little hobby if mine.

And one other thing is changing the admin password to your router..

How many still have "admin" and "password" to get in to it?

Yes they can see where you live, but it's not google I'd be worried about.

Edited by shaneg

Hell thats scary, I have only lived here 7months and putting in my mac address displays my location to to a few houses!

a mate and I made a few maps of various locations for Secured/Unsecured Wifi, Just need a GPS module and a laptop with netstumbler.

I even have a PCMCIA card with MCX connector for connecting my magmount 10dbi omni too...

Yeah, ive used aircrack alot, you can use aireplay to genereate IV's quicker if there isnt enough happening on th network. Most the time it takes less then 10 minutes to get the key.

You'd be fairly unlucky for your wireless to be breached if you:

- Have MAC address only enabled

- 128bit/256 encryption passworded or WPA2 Mixed if wireless lan card / router allows

- SSID disabled

Every wireless network I install has this. There is software out there that can eavesdrop but your far less likely to be infiltrated if you observe the above. It means my customers usually call because their mates or new computers find it hard to join the network but it's far safer IMO.

Trying to work out HTF to install aircrack so I can have a play, any tips?

You'd be fairly unlucky for your wireless to be breached if you:

- Have MAC address only enabled

- 128bit/256 encryption passworded or WPA2 Mixed if wireless lan card / router allows

- SSID disabled

Every wireless network I install has this. There is software out there that can eavesdrop but your far less likely to be infiltrated if you observe the above. It means my customers usually call because their mates or new computers find it hard to join the network but it's far safer IMO.

No point using mac filtering TBH, an attacker can easily spoof their mac address. And soon as there is any traffic on the network airodump / kismet will pick up the SSID automatically. Having these enabled just makes it more annoying to connect than anything.

But using a good password with WPA(2)will have you pretty much sorted, as currently the only attack against WPA(2) uses a dictionary list. So as long as you are using a password that someone wont have in a dictionary list you will be fine.

Trying to work out HTF to install aircrack so I can have a play, any tips?

Just download backtrack and boot it off a DVD.

But make sure your wireless adapter is supported first.

Yeah, strong passwords are the only way to go, mac addresses are easy to change too, this this is merely an inconvenience more than anything..

Download backtrack 4 HERE obviously you are doing this to you own network!

I think you can get aircrack,airodump,aireplay,airmon to work on windoze but im sure its not easy.. im a linux user.

Best bet is the live cd/dvd.

Can give you some advice if you do.. its quite interesting..

Edited by shaneg

It's very hard to get aircrack,airodump ect to run on windows, as nobody will tell you where the drivers are :P

I had it working once, and hacked my mates network *we were bored* took ages though.

No point using mac filtering TBH, an attacker can easily spoof their mac address.

Easy to spoof correct but just one more gate that the hacker has to get through.

Just checked this with my old routers mac address. It was bang on.

Heh thats quite a cool link actually.

Pretty much just make sure you're not running a WEP encyption that can be cracked by an .exe off the net and you'll be fine :D