Sign in to follow this  
mark19

m20b20 fuel hose question

one of my fuel lines is showing cracks and splits all down it in my facelift e30. I think it is the return fuel line?.. it goes from the fuel pressure regulator to underneath the car,

i bought some replacement fuel hose from supercheap $10 per metre. Its 5/16, (couldnt find 8 x 13 mm). Is it fine to use 5/16 instead?

however my main question is whether or not the hose is suitable for fuel injection. i asked the sales assistant and they said it should be sweet but i am not so sure..

the hose is marked, h511 automotive fuel hose sae 30 r6 wp12 BAR ID 5/16" 09119

what do you think should i use it or find some other stuff? thanks

Last I looked at fuel injection hose for my E30 it was ~$50 a metre, at trade price, so my money (without looking into the specs) is on it not being up to the pressure, either that or you just got the mad deal!

Basically, if you paid $10 per meter, then its not suitable and won't be fuel injector rated

When I was replacing the fuel lines on the 325 I was asking all these questions at various different places, Supercheap, Repco, Apco, BNT.

They all told me don't use the cheaper stuff, I ended up buying the fuel injector rated hose from Repco for $25 a meter, the lady on the desk felt it was too expensive for just a silly hose and sold it to me at trade.

Working Pressure on that is 12bar... 180~psi

But I think it's the "SAE30 R6" bit that doesn't make it sutable.. Would be best to get the right kind incase it causes an engine bay fire.

FWIW, you can probably find PTFE stainless braided hose that has a higher rated pressure for less $ per meter ;)

EDIT -

You learn something new everyday, its not the pressure, its the permeation and resulting cracking

http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/file...echTipsForm.pdf

Edited by Jacko

I work at supercheap masterton and I bought some fuel hose the other day which is pretty much the same. I got the hose that says Fuel injection blah blah blah on it so that i didnt get the wrong size. Its been fine so far...

ok thanks for your help, looks like i have to fork out for the sae 30 r9 expensive stuff :o

paying that much per meter i would prefer to have the proper 8 x 13mm hose, however it seems pretty rare is it fine to use 5/16" instead?

i will shop around tomorrow and compare prices

i got the proper hose, was planning on re-using the same hose clamps. However i notice they look like standard hose clamps, i think they are the oem clamps. I was reading somewhere somebody was saying blame bmw for using the wrong clamps :huh:

i think i should get some of those smooth rounded fuel injection clamps rather than reusing the same ones.

Edited by mastermike