Sign in to follow this  
sweetm3

Rotor temperatures

Just arrived home from a day at Hampton Downs. Started of gingerly as you would with the new setup.

See: E36 M3 brake upgrades I need some clarity thread for the setup.

Slowly started to leave the braking later and later, happy to say I didn’t push it past what the car or I could handle.

But still :) knocked 3.7 seconds off my previous fastest lap time now down to 1.21.1

OK I was taking temperature readings on my rotors, the front were reading 210F and the rears were 420F

I would have thought it would be the other way round. I would be interested in any input you guys may have

When you are doing the cool down lap (you must be with only 100deg Celsius on the front) the front brake ducts (even just the stock duct holes in the M3 skirt) will be cooling the front rotors while the rears are stuck in the rear wheel with no ventilation.

^this, plus the front rotors will be bigger so able to dissipate heat much better, also vented, (unsure if back ones are vented or solid.

^this, plus the front rotors will be bigger so able to dissipate heat much better, also vented, (unsure if back ones are vented or solid.

Rears are vented and two piece

whats this degrees F crap

I believe it is the imperial measurement of temperature .

whats this degrees F crap

Well I was checking toyo site re R888 operating temperatures before I left for the track, once at the track I changed my Infrared Temperature reader to F and didnt change it back Edited by sweetm3

Rears are vented and two piece

Ducting is a bendy pipe that directs air to the rear-inside of the rotor to provide ventilation. Even if the rear rotors are vented and 2 piece they still don't have fresh air being pumped in from behind.

Head out to a big straight road and do 5 hard stops from 100 to 10kph, then 1 more from 100 to 0kph, then run around and measure the temps, should give proper readings. Then get moving quick before the pads glaze/whatever.