Sign in to follow this  
waxer

Tick Tick

I changed the oil on my 325i this weekend, together with the filter and plugs etc. Now there seems to be a ticking noise between 1500-3500 rpm. It goes away when revved hard but generally sounds a bit rough. I put the specified oil ammount in. I have read on some other forums that over-filling yr oil can help after an oil change. Was wondering if anyone else had encounterted this. Ta

e30's make a natural tick. ethier from the injectors or from the tappets.

the injector are very lould compared to other cars. like a sewing machine. but theres nothing to worry about apart from making sure your tappets are adjusted properly.

the simplist solution is to just turn your stereo up

the simplist solution is to just turn your stereo up

or learn to like the noise.

Cheers

i quite like the noise ^_^ i dont know why i just do

perhaps get the tappets reset if you really dont like it

make sure you put the right oil in there.... it you changed to a lighter grade then I'd drain it and put the correct one in, as it wont be holding the same oil pressure when the oil is hot at lower rpm.... of course you dont need excessively high oil press, just consistent......

if all else fails, check the tappet clearances, but in saying that: "a slightly noisy tappet is a happy tappet" if they're too tight then the possibility of buring out a valve is there ^_^

Guest Andrew

if they're too tight then the possibility of buring out a valve is there ^_^

oh really? hah <_<

if all else fails, check the tappet clearances, but in saying that: "a slightly noisy tappet is a happy tappet" if they're too tight then the possibility of buring out a valve is there

yes......... :huh:

Can you explain how a tight tapet can burn a valve

put simply, a tight tappet will cause the valve to not close properly, this causes the valve itself, and the seat to erode.... had it happen on my old mini... took a while to run on 4 cylinders as the valve was f**ked as.....