Sign in to follow this  
simke

What do you use for for GPS navigation on your iPhone?

I'm looking for a good turn by turn GPS navigation app for iPhone and would like to hear experiences if you are using one. From what I've read on the net TomTom and Navigon are pretty good.

Don't have an iphone but have used an iphone with Tom Tom installed. As good as a dedicated Tom Tom unit.

+1 for tom tom app. pretty sure you can get it for free if you jail break the phone aswell.

I use Tom Tom, and have the car adaptor for it, excellent as far as I am concerned.

TomTom is the best if you have a jailbroken phone... otherwise it's upwards of $100 :/

aSmartHud3D is pretty cool too : Music controller, compass, speed, integrated google maps with speed camera database.

Yeah TomTom is brilliant - best if you have multitasking enabled.

Without the TomTom bracket it kills the battery though, as to be expected.

I just use the inbuilt map application. Sure there's no turn by turn as you drive, but map the route before you travel and store it in your head. If I got stuck, just fire the Map app up from wherever I got stuck and do it from there.

im pretty sure you can share this. you can buy and share with 3 people. ill look into this for you.

Edit:

Couldn't Fined anything sorry ='[

Edited by 5amchris

pay for the app.

its cheaper than buying tom tom hardware, so let stop this talk about piracy

^ Agree

So Tom Tom it is. Whats the kit that you can buy like? Does it come with a charger? And does iPhone 4 fit in it?

Edited by Simke

The kit is great, I have them for my staff. It comes with a charger, speakers, mic and an enhanced GPS chip built in. (yes, iPhone 4 does work too)

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/mobil...kit-for-iPhone/

Edited by E90 M3

$150 NZ on ebay at the moment, good US dollar.

The kit is great, I have them for my staff. It comes with a charger, speakers, mic and an enhanced GPS chip built in. (yes, iPhone 4 does work too)

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/mobil...kit-for-iPhone/

I didn't know they did kits like that. Pretty expensive, you could rid something like that up pretty easily for like $30 but each to their own :)

I didn't know they did kits like that. Pretty expensive, you could rid something like that up pretty easily for like $30 but each to their own :)

Tom tom app is pretty good...i bought mine on a cheap app day for $74 (i think) also i have rigged mine up with a hard cover that i bought for $20 and did a hori job, with those cheap air freshner clips from the Warehouse (that go in the vents) for $5 and now it just sits in the vents when i use it.

So, sit in my car, click in the iPhone 4 - charging, navigation, fade nav voice when a call comes in, VERY clear speaker and mic, bring nav voice back in when the call ends for $30?

So, sit in my car, click in the iPhone 4 - charging, navigation, fade nav voice when a call comes in, VERY clear speaker and mic, bring nav voice back in when the call ends for $30?

My hori setup works fine with all those...already had handfree bluetooth, got the car charger with my iphone. A GPS setup to the window would also look ridiculous with my radar already there.

Even paying for all those would be far less than the 100 squid that site is asking for.

maybe for a business it makes sense. To myself spending $200-300 for something i hardly use, unless out of town doesn't ;)

I use tomtom with a car charger and a piece of double sided sticky tape at the bottom of my speedo/rev display. Built in handsfree is loud enough and it gets GPS signal all good