Sign in to follow this  
RustyItalian

E39 Passenger side clunk

Hey

My 2000 E39 has a clunk from the passenger side that I'm trying to track. Sounds like an internal noise, from the driver's seat I swear it's from the rear door. Had the door panel off at the weekend and while it needed the capping glued back down (hot glue gun to the rescue) I couldn't find anything wrong.

Are there any locations that tend to make noise on the E39? My next attack would be the B pillar but that appears to be more of a mission.

Richard

You sure its not a worn / split control arm bush.

The inner control arm moves on the rubber bush and hits the outter support ring making a knock sound. Usually happens when you come in on a drive way under brakes. Because its bolted directly to the chassis, it can make a lot of noise and seem it coming from the inside of the cabin.

Otherwise, it sounds like your tracking the same noise down I am at the moment. rear passenger side knock rattle thing ... will let you know if I find it! haha

See if the outer/side plastic seat skirt is loose, the one with the electric or manual seat controls. They are a sh*t of a design and get sat on and come loose.

You sure its not a worn / split control arm bush.

Are you talking front or rear suspension? Fronts didn't look bad at all last I looked. Can't say I've looked that close at the rear.

Cheers

fronts ...

Rear suspension doesn't have a control arm as such.

You can pull the wheel back and forth to check movement on a hoist. However remember the car weight is a lot more and what seem fine to human strength isnt always fine when you have 1.8 ton of tank stopping in a driveway crest.

If it is your suspension bushes coursing the trouble this may be of help I used it for the photo of the Control arm and the Tension strut or thrust arm. thrust_arm_bushings_procedure.htm you may find the write up helpful also. Not sure if this will show the pic'spost-1581-1287883196.jpg

post-1581-1287883227.jpg

Edited by allan