Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Up & coming Boy Racer

Just wanting a bit more bass (grunt) on my factory E53 audio. I've been suggested adding a sub-woofer to the existing system because the current system has nice clear sound, but just no real rumble. What are my options and what prices should I be looking at spending on buying the sub & equipment and installation. Will they just hook into my speakers somehow or?

Cheers.

Just wanting a bit more bass (grunt) on my factory E53 audio. I've been suggested adding a sub-woofer to the existing system because the current system has nice clear sound, but just no real rumble. What are my options and what prices should I be looking at spending on buying the sub & equipment and installation. Will they just hook into my speakers somehow or?

Cheers.

"somehow or?" is correct

You drive the subs in a BMW just as you do in any other car.

Either using low level from the radio prior to the factory amp (valid for non-DSP systems) or tap into the existing sub outputs from the factory amp.

How does having a quality sound system make you a boy racer?

Bar the poor carpet colour match that install on the blue X5 above looks nice, but you wouldn’t go raised floor unless you were using multiple amps for a big system.

Personally I don’t see the point in upgrading one element of a system as it will only emphasise how crap the rest of the system is.

I would look at one of these, it’s the simplest, cleanest and easiest solution and as you like to change about it can be removed and used in your next vehicle.

http://www.paulmoney.co.nz/shop/car-subwoo...powered-sub-box

2c.

Edited by resident know it all

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealth...php?fit_id=1556

I bought one of these, JL audio stealth mounted subs for my Subaru last year. Though the one i have fits in my spare wheel well (with spare) though having had subs mounted on one side of wagons before know that the balance can seem weird...just another idea

Thanks guys. The guy who installed my car kit yesterday suggested this area (top pic) when I told him that the factory DSP sub's go in there. He suggested a blaupunkt amp for 150 on special, about 150 for a 8" subwoofer and other installation carry on but was going to be just over 500 installed. This is for the top pic on the 4.6is but just cut a hole the existing side panel and mount the sub there and put a grille over it for protection. He said there's enough seal and big enough bass cabinet to get a good sound.

How does having a quality sound system make you a boy racer?

Sorry mate, I didn't mean that in a malice way. Just when I told my wife I was looking at doing something that was the first thing that came out of her mouth ha!

The sound is very clear atm, it just lacks grunt. The guy at the installation place agreed, he also said that replacing my speakers with higher end ones will do no good as they are good quality Bose unis in there at the moment.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Sounds like a good idea, though i would get secondary advice on whether the seal will be tight enough.

I'm not sure the speaker size in the X5, but I replaced the 51/4" speakers in the foot wells of my E36 with equivalent sized Nacamichis which have a phenominal bass response. I do use a sub however I can switch the sub off and still get great bass from just the Nacmichis.

Apologise for the spelling.

Edited by C0SM0S

True, a lot of modern-ish cars actually have very well tuned factory stereos, it’s not so much the quality of the speaker itself but the way it has been fitted and tuned to work harmonically in the car,

I ripped all my factory stuff out of the Reno and replaced it with high end $$$ speakers and amps and it actually sounded worse than the low power factory stuff at normal listening level, sure it sounded great really loud but that is useless for everyday driving, especially with passengers in the car, I resorted back to the factory set up and am much happier.

A simple base cannon or standalone unit is the easiest way to do things, doesn’t wreck factory trim and can be recycled, I had a JBL unit in a wagon years ago and it was great.

I'm not sure the speaker size in the X5, but I replaced the 51/4" speakers in the foot wells of my E36 with equivalent sized Nacamichis which have a phenominal bass response. I do use a sub however I can switch the sub off and still get great bass from just the Nacmichis.

Apologise for the spelling.

One asks oneself is it valid to compare what is fitted to a 15 to 20yr old BMW to a modern X5?

I mean, the sound system in the 1956 Isetta wasn't very good either, and upgrading the Isetta's speakers would do wonders for the Isetta. But how does that relate to an X5?

Valid point ^^^ though i have found that even newish cars still need a bit of tweeking with the factory setup(usually Bass)

Haven't confirmed for myself in the X5 but had the question asked to me by a person I sold a reverse camera to as to how he could improve the sound - he thought the sound was flat & dull. His X5 didn't have factory sub.

He ended up installing an exta, realitively small amp & a small sub.

He also replaced the door speakers with same size but much bigger magnet units. He used a still conservative wattage Fusion unit. He sent me a pic of old & new units for comparison.

He was apparently very happy with the result - a clean crisp sound with good bass definition

This is going ahead next week with a bit of luck. I'm not replacing the speakers in the doors simply due to the fact that the supplier and installer doens't recommend it. He believes the sub install on my back RH panel and amp will be suffice to give me a decent amount of grunt. Will post pics once it's all done.

There are a few options for sub's in a E53 X5

I added a Fusion 12" Tube Sub to my X5, made a huge difference to the overall sound quality.

Posted Image

Another option, which I would like to do one day, is to build a custom sub enclosure that fits in where the factory sub would normally go:

X5 Sub Project

Custom Sub Install

Or if money is no object, go for an off-the-shelf sub designed for the X5:

BSW Sub

JL Audio Stealthbox

I have replaced all the factory speakers in my M5 with aftermarket units and couldn't be happier with the results.

Not that the factory stereo sounded bad, but that I felt it was lacking.

The car did have the M audio package with 12 kevlar speakers I found the midrange alittle flat, luckily I have two 10" subs in the boot which still work well for low bass response I left them alone.

Deconstructing the car I found pitiful 5.25" drivers with smallish magnets in the doors using molded plastic boxes artifically increase the bass response, along with tiny tweeters in the sail position. The same door speakers in the rear parcel shelf.

Well, they got binned and a set of 6.5" Precision audio components front & rear just mounted in the factory positions with factory wiring. The magnets on these puppies have to be 4x what the factory had, and the overall construction is far superior.

The sound quality now is outstanding. Only problem is that it's so good that I wanna crank it up on long drives and that annoys the missus.

Unless you are rocking a Veyron I believe most factory stereo's have weak points that can be improved upon it all depends on what you personally feel is good sound.

Give the sub tube a listen you might be pleasently surprised.

my2c

Edited by M5V8

I have replaced all the factory speakers in my M5 with aftermarket units and couldn't be happier with the results.

Not that the factory stereo sounded bad, but that I felt it was lacking.

The car did have the M audio package with 12 kevlar speakers I found the midrange alittle flat, luckily I have two 10" subs in the boot which still work well for low bass response I left them alone.

Deconstructing the car I found pitiful 5.25" drivers with smallish magnets in the doors using molded plastic boxes artifically increase the bass response, along with tiny tweeters in the sail position. The same door speakers in the rear parcel shelf.

Well, they got binned and a set of 6.5" Precision audio components front & rear just mounted in the factory positions with factory wiring. The magnets on these puppies have to be 4x what the factory had, and the overall construction is far superior.

The sound quality now is outstanding. Only problem is that it's so good that I wanna crank it up on long drives and that annoys the missus.

Unless you are rocking a Veyron I believe most factory stereo's have weak points that can be improved upon it all depends on what you personally feel is good sound.

Give the sub tube a listen you might be pleasently surprised.

my2c

Is it easy to find speakers that fit into the strangely shaped holes in the E39 doors? And did you wire it yourself?

Is it easy to find speakers that fit into the strangely shaped holes in the E39 doors? And did you wire it yourself?

No it's not easy to find quality speakers to fit the car for a reasonable price, so I didn't bother.

There's actually alot of room in the actual door cavaity for quite deep mounting speakers, so I bought some of the best units I could locate and simply made them fit.

It was a matter of cutting out some customwood to mount the speaker to the door and used the factory wiring, very simple in the end.

No cutting the inner door or door card. You wouldn't know except if you notice the slightly higher rear parcel shelf speakers as there isn't as much room back there.

there's some good vids on tube to help with car deconstruction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEZ-bcEYdRA

here's what we used as a guideline to make the 6.5" speakers fit in the front.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1251413

I have the system which has 3 different speakers in the front doors :S, was thinking of chaging them but im pretty sure that at least the mid bass one is imposible to find a replacement for due to its size. :(

What Set do you have tristan? single woofer and tweater in front?

I have the system which has 3 different speakers in the front doors :S, was thinking of chaging them but im pretty sure that at least the mid bass one is imposible to find a replacement for due to its size. :(

correct the midrange tweeter is a very rare size, since I left the amp and crossovers the alone I reused it :D

In my car there was a tiny tweeter in the sail and slightly larger one mounted over the 5.25" driver.

So I replaced the sail tweeter with the aftermarket one, removed the mid from over the factory driver and moved to the small speaker grill near the door handle and mounted 6.5 in the door.

This has moved the front stage right up into your face and really made the biggest difference, I needed to tune the system again to tone down the more powerful highs but that was easy.

Edited by M5V8