Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Bridgestone Potenza RE11

Funny afterthought there Nath.

So funny, I'll write this:

haha

Get T1R’s or Sport Max if you can, anything more expensive is just that. At this level they are all much of a muchness, to give you an idea I ran 3000km last week with cars running anything and everything and it was much of a muchness at the pointy end of the pack, the three cars at the front had Sport Max though.

I personally like Dunlop Sport Max the best.

I have driven on T1Rs and I'd never recommend them for anything. They felt numb and dragged all over the road. Not a terribly nice feeling mid-corner particularly when you are trying to put some pace on. I had been running T1Ss prior to this tyre, I miss those.

That could have been a number of factors but I didn't like them. After about 3-4,000KM some nice person stole my car. I can't really comment on wear rates.

I don't beleive the T1R can be compared to anything decent.

That could have been a number of factors but I didn't like them. After about 3-4,000KM some nice person stole my car. I can't really comment on wear rates.

I make no comment on whether they're good - haven't tried anything else - but when I bought the car 25k km ago it had slightly worn T1Rs on the back which are now about done, and I put new T1Rs on the front to match and they don't even look half worn.

I usually go through 2 sets of rears per 1 set of fronts... I think that's just the norm with higher powered FR cars with spirited driving... :rolleyes::ph34r:

It really is hard to get decent data tested in NZ on NZ roads with NZ specification tyres.

Would love to see a mega test with tyres as Wheels Magazine does, take say 10 of the common performance tyres on ten sets of wheels and fit them to a control car, say a 330i and let the data do the talking, take into account cost, wear, noise ride and performance.

If your car's setup for a stiff sidewall then you'll probably like the RE11's. My brief experience with them back to back with my r888's of the same size was interesting. About the same limit as the r888's with what felt like less slip angle, but steering response was well up from the r888's.

I reckon they'd be trickier to drive 10/10ths.

It really is hard to get decent data tested in NZ on NZ roads with NZ specification tyres.

Would love to see a mega test with tyres as Wheels Magazine does, take say 10 of the common performance tyres on ten sets of wheels and fit them to a control car, say a 330i and let the data do the talking, take into account cost, wear, noise ride and performance.

Bit of a bias test - some tyres suit different cars better, not to mention lack of repeatability and driver consistency :)

I reckon just try different ones till you find some that suit your car/driving. Not hard to get an idea of what tyres are like from reviews, e.g. T1R's are soft, etc

If you reaaallly wanted, you could send samples to Calspan :lol:

My 2c

AMEN!

Back to my original post about the RE11's, does anyone know of any other alternatives I could look into, going for a more road focused tyre as opposed to a 888.

(Johno I did pm you but no reply...)

Thanks in advance.

Was just going to post about these same tyres!

I have these on the 430 and the rears will have to be replaced before the next WOF :rolleyes:

I found them really sticky esp quick windy roads...Dunedin-Queenstown...but have played every now and then :rolleyes: which i'm now regretting, as have been quoted $925 inc gst for the two 265/35/18's, is this a reasonable price??

Although be warned, when i took this to a small garage for the last WOF they claimed they were not road legal!! They were

And like Brams...any other alternatives to these?

Cheers

Edited by cliffdunedin

IMHO there is no such thing as a semi track tyre, I have driven on the RE11 and it’s a joke in comparison to the R888’s, they are just way to soft in the sides.

I feel your pain with the R888’s, mine lasted two months until canvass, at a RRP of $580 each that is not the best.

As an alternative Dunlop do a tyre called Star Spec Z1.

http://www.dunlop.co.nz/tyres_motorsport.aspx?cat=3

Best bet is a track set of tyres and a road set, at least you have the luxury of cheap wheels to hang them on for the E30.

IMHO there is no such thing as a semi track tyre, I have driven on the RE11 and it’s a joke in comparison to the R888’s, they are just way to soft in the sides.

I don't do any track days at all, do you think these are the wrong tyres for daily/weekend driving?

There is no right and wrong. Seems funny they would be on a car like yours to be honest, they are aimed at the boy racer/tuner scene. Did they come on the car?

I drove on them in a Clio RS around Hampton Downs and they feel so so soft, much like a Toyo T1R, heaps of side wall flex and quite sloppy, what was notables that the car was slower on them than the Toyo T1R’s they replaced, the Toyo’s were well worn in though so hardly a good median.

To me, a softer tyre should be quicker given how fast they wear out, you really want a pay off.

As said you can’t go wrong with any of the major brands.

There is a recent EVO tyre test in the tyres section, gives a fair assessment of what’s good and what better.

I still rate the Dunlop Sport Maxx as best as they cost half as much as the next decent equivalent, I have tracked my car on them many a time and they were only a second or so off the R888’s and were on par with the same car (Megane R26) running OEM Michelin that cost twice as much.

As a caution I can say avoided deals on P-Zero Nero tyres, I have a set sitting in the corner of my garage, I had to remove them they were that pad.

Edited by resident know it all

IMHO there is no such thing as a semi track tyre, Best bet is a track set of tyres and a road set, at least you have the luxury of cheap wheels to hang them on for the E30.

This is the best advice so far. While the initial investment may be quite high, you will save money in the long run. As sure as apples are apples you wil destroy a set of road tyres in one track day. Multiply that by 5 and all of a sudden a second set of wheels and tyres doesn't look so bad.

We just had a customer absolutley destroy a set of new 18" conti's at a track day. He assured us he would be driving "softly" but in the end the red mist came down and he blew a tyre out on the way home. This customer is now "investing" in a 2nd set of rims and track day tyres!

There is no right and wrong. Seems funny they would be on a car like yours to be honest, they are aimed at the boy racer/tuner scene. Did they come on the car?

Yep came on them when we bought it!

We bought it off a "soccer mom" type, so she may have been wrangled into buying higher priced tyres.

Will take it in too Bridgestone this weekend and get them to look at it, instead of me ringing around for re11's.

cheers