Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Replacing E39 Windshield Rubber Seal

Hi guys

My front windshield rubber is looking pretty tacky, falling apart so I'm going to replace it. I took the car to BM Workshop and they said that the windscreen would have to come off and they'd send it to Smith and Smith and quoted upwards of $300.00

I decided to do some research and found this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e5...eplacement.html

I've ordered the part from Team McM, picking it up tomorrow after my exam and will install it tomorrow afternoon.

I'll do a write-up for you guys as well.

Part number is 51 31 8 159 784

Costs $116.50 or something incl. GST which is a bit more than the $40 odd that the yanks are paying but oh well.

Will finish this off tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing the result. As my E30's seal on both windows has gone all yellowish would be good to find a way to get it done =)

Haha yeah. Should be good.

Question:

In the threads (American) they have something called "Goo Gone"

Is this available in NZ? What substitutes are there? Isopropyl I'm guessing ...

Going to call by Placemakers on the way home also to get some other stuff so I'll try pick some up there. Finally starting work soon too after exams! New wheels on their way soon then!

got the car yard to do it to mine when I brought it.. always get stupid sh*t done like this when you buy from a dealer! lol good luck, looks much much better with new seal in!

got the car yard to do it to mine when I brought it.. always get stupid sh*t done like this when you buy from a dealer! lol good luck, looks much much better with new seal in!

Yeah, from the pics it looks like a huge difference and yeah, I should've got the dealer to sort it but stupidly didn't. Oh well, pay for your mistakes. Learn for the future - Surely many more cars in the future to come so better now than down the road :)

Hi guys

My front windshield rubber is looking pretty tacky, falling apart so I'm going to replace it. I took the car to BM Workshop and they said that the windscreen would have to come off and they'd send it to Smith and Smith and quoted upwards of $300.00

I decided to do some research and found this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e5...eplacement.html

I've ordered the part from Team McM, picking it up tomorrow after my exam and will install it tomorrow afternoon.

I'll do a write-up for you guys as well.

Part number is 51 31 8 159 784

Costs $116.50 or something incl. GST which is a bit more than the $40 odd that the yanks are paying but oh well.

Will finish this off tomorrow.

Seems strange - I can't say Ive noticed an E39 with trim as you describe, ours, at 11 yrs old still looks as new.

Look forward to seeing the result. As my E30's seal on both windows has gone all yellowish would be good to find a way to get it done =)

E30 is a different setup - it has the screen mounting in the rubber, the E39 screen is eurothaned in - the strip is just a trim.

E30 is a different setup - it has the screen mounting in the rubber, the E39 screen is eurothaned in - the strip is just a trim.

Does anyone sell the screen mounting stuff seperately then? Cause would make mine look so much better instead of this yellow, p*ss coloured stuff....

Does anyone sell the screen mounting stuff seperately then? Cause would make mine look so much better instead of this yellow, p*ss coloured stuff....

I assume you are meaning the filler strip in a pre f/l (originally chrome look). Most have gone that way now with 20+ years time in the sun.

You could get one from a f/l car - these are black

Sweet as Thanks. Might have to give Ray a call tomorrow =D Hopefully, they're not too hard to fit =)

Unfortunately, they aren't easy to fit on an E30. Very fiddly job.

It'd be easier to give it a scrub and trying to find some kind of plastic rejuvenating gel or something along those lines from repco, if that fails, paint. You can paint anything on an E30 :P

Edited by Blackie

Well I picked up the new molding today and just finished putting it in. Probably took about an hour and a half. Had a couple of breaks as a result of 25 degree Auckland weather and my car being parked in the sun. This had its advantages and disadvantages.

Definitely not as easy and the Americans on bimmerfest and M5board alluded to. Was quite fiddly, but then again could just be me. The heat made the new molding softer which made it a bit easier to get in. Then again the heat also made my windshield and surrounding panels hot enough to fry an egg on. The tips of my fingers are blistering now :(

Overall, pretty happy with the job. Here are pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good job - well done.

I see what you mean about the old one. It must surely have seen a lot of sun in it's Jap life.

Like I said - have not really noticed this before on E39's & ours (original) still looks as you new one does.

Good job - well done.

I see what you mean about the old one. It must surely have seen a lot of sun in it's Jap life.

Like I said - have not really noticed this before on E39's & ours (original) still looks as you new one does.

My E38 needs the same thing done.

have not really noticed this before on E39's & ours (original) still looks as you new one does.

Surely a good sign!