Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

E36 Taillight Failure

Done a bit of searching online, but still can't find a solution for my problem. I replaced my Aftermarket Depo Lights recently with genuine BMW Clear rears, even with genuine lights, im still getting a tail light failure warning on my obc.

I've checked the bulb connections and theres no corrosion, all the lights are working when i check them but haven't checked the wires in the boot hinge yet. Could that be the problem?

EDIT - Checked to make sure all the bulbs I am using are correct also

Cheers

Edited by Brenton

Hi Glenn,

Its Saying Tail Light Failure as soon as I put the put my headlights on.

Cheers

Edited by Brenton

check they havn't wired the high stop light across teh wrong wires.

have seen that before

Hi Glenn,

Its Saying Tail Light Failure as soon as I put the put my headlights on.

Cheers

The lamp check system checks for faulty bulbs.

Any poor wiring connection, bad ground, old filament, or corroded bulb connection, or worn down solder lump on the base of the bulb will cause these problems

As well as burnt out bulb!

Make sure the taillight connectors are clean and in good order, and that the bulb socket is clean and free from dirt and rust

Make sure the taillamp ground connection is also clean, secure, and free of dirt and corrosion

If all looks good, check the bulb socket that it makes a good connection with the bulb. Then check the bulb itself - often the solder blob in the base of the bulb wears down due to vibration and the bulb stops making a reliable contact. Replace the bulb if this is the case.

Just check mostly everything you've said and everything seems to be fine. Just wondering if my wiring harness is correct. On my passenger side taillight there is 6 wires going into the harness but on the taillight there is only 5 pins + 1 blank hole. On the drivers side there is 5 wires going in and 5 pins in the correct place.

So would this be causing a problem. Heres a few pictures of what i mean. Sorry for the bad pics, an e63 camera sucks.

post-4775-1289877012.jpg

post-4775-1289877022.jpg

Edit: Also checked the high stop light wiring and it appears to be correct, goes on when i press the brake pedal along with the other brake lights.

Edited by Brenton

Just check mostly everything you've said and everything seems to be fine. Just wondering if my wiring harness is correct. On my passenger side taillight there is 6 wires going into the harness but on the taillight there is only 5 pins + 1 blank hole. On the drivers side there is 5 wires going in and 5 pins in the correct place.

So would this be causing a problem. Heres a few pictures of what i mean. Sorry for the bad pics, an e63 camera sucks.

post-4775-1289877012.jpg

post-4775-1289877022.jpg

Edit: Also checked the high stop light wiring and it appears to be correct, goes on when i press the brake pedal along with the other brake lights.

coupes , sedan's and 4cyl and 6cyl have different pin numbers and missing pin in different place .

so if someone has fitted a tailight from a 318is coupe to your 328i coupe it will throw up a fail message

Okay thanks Brent, I guess i'll just live with the error code for now since its not actually effecting the lights.

Edit: Think i may have found a solution for me. Mite give it ago tomorrow. I think my old depo lights had a bridge cause i remember wondering why there were wires soldered onto it

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=238876

Edited by Brenton