Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Helmet... what to look for when buying one?

as topic, what do we need to look out for when buying a helmet?

Is second hands ok? How to check if they are safe?

What style is needed for the track?

(They won't allow bicycle helmet right?

What about those hard-hat style (harley davidson or construction site style)???

I've got one somewhere round here if you wanna borrow it, its pretty tight on anyone, but still fits. Its in racing yellow (is there such a thing lol) ... shes a beauty :).

Edited by E30stz

Don't ever buy a 2nd hand helmet (well, not if you want it to do it's job).

Basically any new helmet is fine. Unless you are going to a real race, then they won't scrutineer the numbers in your helmet and will generally give it a visual inspection.

Open or full face helmets are OK. I've always bought full face, as I ride bikes too and I don't like eating bugs. In a proper race car, an open face is better, in a road car, I still prefer the full face (to keep the few goods looks I have left).

Once they are dropped, they should be replaced. If you don't wear it often, don't get a top of the line Shoei or the like, it is just money you don't need to spend. N.B. they will however do a better job of keeping your head in one piece when needed.

Find one that fits, don't buy the brand. I couldn't find an Arai to fit me last time.

You get what you pay for. Have fun shopping.

as long as they have an nz australian british or US standard they should be ok,for our sorta use fit is everything,you might find the first few times that the lack of periphial vision in a full face is a bit off putting.The name brands can be 600 or 700 (or probably more!!!!)I dont think bicycle or construction type helmets will do.When you try on a helmet do up the strap tightly(on the verge of uncomfortable and try to pull it off by grabbing the back and trying to pull it forward over the top of your head,and side to side,the helmet that is most comfortable and resists movement is the one for you.

I'd recommend that you buy a helmet with a standard listed in the Motorsport New Zealand regulations, then you're sweet for what ever you want to do.

Note: The ones the meet the NZ spec aren't that expensive

look at http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Regs/regulations.htm#Manual

Appendix 2, Schedule A, Part 1, page 165

(http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Pdf/M32App2SchAPart1.pdf)