Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

ZF4hp22 compatible?

technically yes, but raises other issues because its on a 10 degree or so angle more than normal. best to get one from a M20 engined car. i believe a pfl M20 transmission will fit fl

technically yes, but raises other issues because its on a 10 degree or so angle more than normal. best to get one from a M20 engined car. i believe a pfl M20 transmission will fit fl

Cheers for that, I have a free one from a 318 versus paying for another one. What are the other issues?

M10- and M20 have different bellhousing shape .

you will need to swap the bell housings over . but also check the drive shaft coupling out put .

and also plugs , make sure they have the same electrical plugs etc . overwise wont work properly

ahh.. forgot being a pfl it would have a M10 engine. even more issues than i thought of, and more than are worth dealing with when the correct transmission can be had for next to nothing if you look in the right places. i struggled for a month to give one away

ahh.. forgot being a pfl it would have a M10 engine. even more issues than i thought of, and more than are worth dealing with when the correct transmission can be had for next to nothing if you look in the right places. i struggled for a month to give one away

Can you give me a hint where the right places are? Will probably see how hard it is to extract the trans from the housing and try to swap into other housing?

Can you give me a hint where the right places are? Will probably see how hard it is to extract the trans from the housing and try to swap into other housing?

trademe mostly. wreckers seem to think they are still gold for some reason. not sure if you can swap the belhousings on autos, havent played around with them enough to know.

Some further questions for any tranny experts.

Is the 4hp22 from an e34 m20b25 a straight swap into an e30 m20b25? Lengths, plugs etc.

I have been told the trans from a e30 m10 is a different housing from an m20, I have also heard the trans is only spc'd for a 4cyl no a 6. Is that right?

Also, is see some e34's have a s/e switch. Is this the same as the one in an e30 ? i know the switch is different but plugs, trans ecu etc?

Cheers

E34 transmissions with the S/E switches are electrohydraulic and as far as i know not compatable. the regular transmissions are cross compatable, but you obviously use all the E30 linkages/supports etc for it. only plug on your transmission should be the reverse light switch. if there are other wires coming off it you have the wrong transmission.

btw this assumes your E30 wasnt fitted with an electrohydraulic transmission from the factory, which was a fitted to some E30s in their final year of production (1991)