Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Upgrading S class to 7 Series... some suggestions?

Hiya! Been a while since I've been on bimmersport. I'm in the process of ditching my 04 S280L, in for something like a 745Li.

I've never been too keen on NZ new cars (can't justify the extra price), my last 3 cars have all been imports with minimal issues. I don't have too many criteria... Has to be 2004 or newer, Longwheel base and price can be up to $36k.

I was looking at this option on trademe... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-297649045.htm doesn't seem too bad aside from the mileage. I haven't had any previous experience with Japanese imports though. How does this look? Anyone know if this E66 will support the NZ nav DVD? Also, with the mileage, is this palatable or too high??

Thanks for all help :D

Hiya! Been a while since I've been on bimmersport. I'm in the process of ditching my 04 S280L, in for something like a 745Li.

I've never been too keen on NZ new cars (can't justify the extra price), my last 3 cars have all been imports with minimal issues. I don't have too many criteria... Has to be 2004 or newer, Longwheel base and price can be up to $36k.

I was looking at this option on trademe... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-297649045.htm doesn't seem too bad aside from the mileage. I haven't had any previous experience with Japanese imports though. How does this look? Anyone know if this E66 will support the NZ nav DVD? Also, with the mileage, is this palatable or too high??

Thanks for all help :D

get it checked by the dealer.I dont think many independents would see these!It looks very good in the pics.If its a jap import the nav wont work here.Well the older cars need a euro nav computer I am not sure if the newer cars are the same

try to get a facelift E65, they look much better and apparently hiccups like confusing iDrive etc were sorted out...

As far as I am aware they were recalled to have the problem fixed. Weather or not all of them were done though is an entirely different question..

I've done a lot of research on the E66s as I wanted to get one before this S class, apparently the early production years were fraught with probs like idrive (2002/2003) but 2004 onwards they were sorted. I would love to get a facelift, but afaik they didn't facelift the 745, so it would have to be a 750 which is a problem because I haven't seen any sell on trademe for less than $50k (upper-price ranger here is about $38k) and the insurance company will probably have a heart attack, due to my age.

You'd have to be one of the youngest E65 owners, good on you (if you get one I meant) I've driven one of those S classes before and they're very smooth and refined. But not being interested in japanese imports? I mean you have a Lexus which has to be NZ New?

You'd have to be one of the youngest E65 owners, good on you (if you get one I meant) I've driven one of those S classes before and they're very smooth and refined. But not being interested in japanese imports? I mean you have a Lexus which has to be NZ New?

Lexus was singa import as far as I can remember. I found an 05 Rego'd 745Li from Singapore, looks promising. I suppose I can let go of the heated/cooled seats, sunroof and tv which are native to the Jappa for the GPS, Radio, Phone, nicer wheels, better looking iDrive text, better mileage and euro plate holders which are native to the Singa import.

cool,you dont slam the doors you just pull them into the latch position and they shut themselves

This has always annouyed me ... you have to get them kinda in the right position for it to lock ... easier to just give it the ole firm german shut.

This has always annouyed me ... you have to get them kinda in the right position for it to lock ... easier to just give it the ole firm german shut.

My wife has an 09 Kia, father inlaw has a 08 Prado, e.t.c. e.t.c. they cannot shut my doors first time - this happens every time!

i have only actually seen one work on the boot of a seven...that seems like a a half decent idea but the doors???you have to puul them 99 percent of the way anyway..Still iguess you want something for your 200,000 plus

After the nightmares my family and family friends have had with Singapore imports I would rather walk than drive another one. Go for a Jap or NZ new one. Not having issues with a Sinapore import is pure luck.

On these big car, soft close is amazing. I have it on the current S class and would never go back. I saw that 750Li, got some additional pics, looks damn amazing, but its selling for $48k FOB NZD, so $10k out of range. In terms of Singapore horror stories, I'm all too familiar with them, but I really think it depends on where/who you get it from. I've sourced my current S class from Singapore as well as previous 2002 525i, both have been problem-free. Kiwiauto are amazing for sourcing cars, good service and they're willing to fix up any issues with the cars.

I'll post some pics of the 05 745Li I'm eying up atm once I get em, specs look pretty decent, apparently even a sunroof is included. NOT looking forward to insurance quote.

Glad your after a 7. They are fantastic cars, and for some reason I do kinda perfer the prefacelift to an extent.

I also second you with Singapore cars, all car are different. It just depends where you buy it and how well its been looked after. My old E36 Coupe was Singapore and never had any electrical issues which I was told I will have along with my 5-Series, all working and working well I must say.

I have driven countless 745's and yes Li's are deffinatly the way to go! They always have better options and are just generally much cooler. Leather sometimes take quite a beating on the lighter coloured interiors but all and all are absolutley great cars. I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Glad your after a 7. They are fantastic cars, and for some reason I do kinda perfer the prefacelift to an extent.

I also second you with Singapore cars, all car are different. It just depends where you buy it and how well its been looked after. My old E36 Coupe was Singapore and never had any electrical issues which I was told I will have along with my 5-Series, all working and working well I must say.

I have driven countless 745's and yes Li's are deffinatly the way to go! They always have better options and are just generally much cooler. Leather sometimes take quite a beating on the lighter coloured interiors but all and all are absolutley great cars. I'd have one in a heartbeat.

I also noticed that the 745Li are much better proportioned than the 745i, the extra length suits the width of the car :P