Sign in to follow this  
george graves

My m30 swap - TONS of pics...

Time to test fit - we put the motor in and out of the car maybe 7 or 8 times - mostly because we were building the mounts from scratch - and that took some finess.(and no that guy in the barney-purple shirt is not me)

Posted Image

At the time - no one knew you could mix and match drive shaft parts from different bmw's to get the right length for the m30. I did it the hard expensive way, I bought a e30m3 DS then had it shorten, rebuilt and rebalanced for $400...OUCH! Oh in the pic is not the DS - a peice of PVC pipe to make sure we were lined up right.

Posted Image

Yep - that my car - and that's a hammer. Actually that was fun. Beeting the hell out of the fire wall to make some more room for the motor. Not for the weak - but once the motor is in you can't even see it - it's hidden behind the head. Oh, and a spray of 3m under coating helps seal any bare metal.

Posted Image

I forget the measurement we took - but this is one LOOOONNNNGGGG motor/tranny package. Notice that I used a getrag 265 with a removable bell housing? It really make the swap easier. This tranny came out of a e30m3. Also the tranny mount is a e30 m3 mount - it bolts right up to the e30.

Posted Image

We used lots of jacks and stand under the motor to get it just in the right place before building the mounts - this step is critical, and time consumming tring to position a huge motor EXACTLY where is need to be.

Posted Image

Because we ended up using the stock m20 harness - wiring was a snap! It all just pluged in - no need to rebuild the c101 conector!!! THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT!

Posted Image