Sign in to follow this  
Tommy

exhausts

Yo dawgs

I,m pondering putting ona new zaust on the 320

I dont want anything loud and annoying as I like the

sound of my enjun.

I was Thinking...... hmmmm 2inch with some free flows down the way?

Has anyone done this and had much inprovement in torque or hp?

Churrrrrrrr :lol:

sounds good....

dont go over 2-1/4 inch pipe size though, way too big, will only cause it to drone

dont mess round with any mufflers that arent straight through,otherwise theres no point and dont have just coby's-they drone..... dont bother getting an acs or supersprint or anything like that, I dont see the point when they're designed to work in conjunction with catylic converters, and a decent custom system wont have any pitfalls against one of these anyway, and so much cheaper!!!!! just make sure you get it done somewhere good, dont wanna hack job.....

I've found that repco straight through jobbies (the oval shaped ones) are pretty schmick, sound good, fairly quiet, don't cost out too bad........ can also get them with an expansion chamber half way down which quietens it even more,

just macced one on my sistrers mini the other day, sounds mean an doesnt drone, evemn at 150, just gotta put the cooper s extractors and carbs on now :lol:

Edited by CaM

sounds good....

dont go over 2-1/4 inch pipe size though, way too big, will only cause it to drone

dont mess round with any mufflers that arent straight through,otherwise theres no point and dont have just coby's-they drone..... dont bother getting an acs or supersprint or anything like that, I dont see the point when they're designed to work in conjunction with catylic converters, and a decent custom system wont have any pitfalls against one of these anyway, and so much cheaper!!!!! just make sure you get it done somewhere good, dont wanna hack job.....

I've found that repco straight through jobbies (the oval shaped ones) are pretty schmick, sound good, fairly quiet, don't cost out too bad........ can also get them with an expansion chamber half way down which quietens it even more,

just macced one on my sistrers mini the other day, sounds mean an doesnt drone, evemn at 150, just gotta put the cooper s extractors and carbs on now :lol:

Cam's right on the piping, don't go too big.

Coby's only drone if you don't have them setup correctly, have a listen to Ian's car as he has 4 coby's setup correctly and that doesn't drone, is a bit loud though for a road only car.

Pays to have a decent muffler or you'll get a nasty tone, and under no circumstances should you even consider doing a Tim. <_<

Yes, I will need to redo my exhaust in the very near future, my exhaust rattle which did sound good under acceleration, is now present almost right through the rev range, and is getting a bit annoying.

I will likely go to somewhere like Al's Mufflers (on the North Shore I think) and get them to make something along the lines of what Andy did on his car. Otherwise if it is just the catalytic convertor that is causing the rattle I'll just get it cut out altogether.

Cheers

Yes, I will need to redo my exhaust in the very near future, my exhaust rattle which did sound good under acceleration, is now present almost right through the rev range, and is getting a bit annoying.

I will likely go to somewhere like Al's Mufflers (on the North Shore I think) and get them to make something along the lines of what Andy did on his car. Otherwise if it is just the catalytic convertor that is causing the rattle I'll just get it cut out altogether.

Cheers

you still have your stock system on a 2.7???? :gay:

Cheers

you still have your stock system on a 2.7???? :gay:
yup.

I thought that the extra 2hp i'd gain for changing to a custom exhaust propably wasn't that necessary. The standard exhaust seemed to be doing the job nicely.

Cheers

There is rumours that they are gonna make Un-cat cars illegal .... is that true ...?

wouldn't it fail most cars on the road then ?

There is rumours that they are gonna make Un-cat cars illegal .... is that true ...?

wouldn't it fail most cars on the road then ?

Yip, most of the NZ new cars didn't have them, only the imports.

Guest Andrew

and no cat will not become ilegal - just they are introducing emmision laws which will most likely you to require to emissions but based on your vehicle etc etc.

and no cat will not become ilegal - just they are introducing emmision laws which will most likely you to require to emissions but based on your vehicle etc etc.

WTF :blink:

Come again, I don't speakie the engrish...

There are new laws coming into effect that mean your car must pass a series of emissions tests for its WOF. Particularly the CO2 content of your exhaust gases.

Properly functioning catalytic converters can dramatically reduce the emissions your engine throws out, but I dont think it means you have to get them fitted as a rule.

I dont know what the standards are going to be, but they have been testing in the UK for a while now. I had new cats put on the 740 when I came over, but the 750 had them removed at the request of the buyer and that passed the UK tests with no problems.

I also dont believe its relevant to cars built before 1990.

You should try find a twin sports exhaust off a motorsport, i love mine at high revs sounds live a f1 car, such a sexy note at low revs too. :wub:

There are new laws coming into effect that mean your car must pass a series of emissions tests for its WOF. Particularly the CO2 content of your exhaust gases.

Properly functioning catalytic converters can dramatically reduce the emissions your engine throws out, but I dont think it means you have to get them fitted as a rule.

I dont know what the standards are going to be, but they have been testing in the UK for a while now. I had new cats put on the 740 when I came over, but the 750 had them removed at the request of the buyer and that passed the UK tests with no problems.

I also dont believe its relevant to cars built before 1990.

That bites, mines 1990 :(

Hmmm, curiously, apart from a cat how can you reduce the CO2 content, retard the timing so it produces more CO than CO2???

That bites, mines 1990 :(

Hmmm, curiously, apart from a cat how can you reduce the CO2 content, retard the timing so it produces more CO than CO2???

There are a couple of *cough* tricks *cough* that you can use come testing time to reduce the emissions if necessary. i think injector cleaner and a few 400m sprints is one of them.

Other than that Ive always thought the best way to reduce your emissions was to have the car running as sweetly as possible.

Sorry mate, I dont know any more than that.

Im also not certain about the 1990 thing. Just remember seeing it somewhere but you know what happened the last time I said that.

hi i have a 325i went to Woolf mufflers and got a custom jobbie 2.5" did feel liked it revved a little freer but nothing really hp wise very nice sound though givess me much enjoyment

mite just leave it alone eh I like the way it sound right

now and i,m very happy with how well its runs anyways

cheers for the feedback. :P

maybe I will then, I dont know wot kind off tip to put on it

tho, I want something real low key. where did you get yours sparkle?

it looks nice and tidy

from the exhaust shop where i got my exhaust done, ive got twin 2" slash angle cuts. general rule for me is, if single tip dont go over 3" and if twin dont go over 2 1/4"

i would think the emmisions thing will apply to ALL cars but the requirements for cars designed to run on unleaded will be tougher than pre unleaded,that was mid nineties wasnt it......

the trick apparently is to have the car running well and at proper operating temp...sounds like an excuse for an italian tune up... :thumb:

What's an Italian tune-up? Fanging it round some windy's?

Don't know if the emissions laws will really effect e30/e34 owners or not as the latest model facelift e30s and late model e34s may find themselves caught just at the end of the cut-off, and I don't know if the stock exhaust is up to it or not.

Obviously e36s etc will need to be up to date, but the stock gear is probably better as far as emissions are concerned, and the only prob will likely be with poorly tuned vehicles or vehicles with modified exhausts.