Sign in to follow this  
sammcj2000

I just bought a E34 540i...

Just purchased a new performance chip from microchips-tuning. (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/microchips-tuning)

It was only $117 shipped to NZ from the the UK, the guy I spoke to there (George) seemed decent and said their standard gain on a M60 is 8%.

Should be here in a week and a half, I'll let you know how it goes.

Hmmm I can't really afford to go the whole hog.

I'll keep the cat when it's removed so I can put it in if it's horrid.

The tech from Eurorec gutted his cat and it sounds pretty nice.

Hmmm well I guess see how it goes. I actually sold my 540i's catalytic converters to a metal wrecker, got $180 for the pair!

If I was to do the exhaust again on a 540i, I would probably just spend the money and get a Remus rear box that bolts up like I did with my 325i. I wanted a Eisenmann rear box, but that was going to be $2500 delivered... not really cost effective when it was 1/2 the cars value!

Will be interesting to hear the results with the chip you bought.

Yeah that is a lot of money isn't it, mind you a Remus is enough to make even the tightest panties drop ;)

Yep, I'll let you know what it's like, I was looking for something cheap and you can't really go wrong with $117 delivered as long as it actually does something, hell if I got 5hp from that - that's good, hopefully I will be saving some fuel with the chip+cat remove done.

Yeah that is a lot of money isn't it, mind you a Remus is enough to make even the tightest panties drop ;)

Yep, I'll let you know what it's like, I was looking for something cheap and you can't really go wrong with $117 delivered as long as it actually does something, hell if I got 5hp from that - that's good, hopefully I will be saving some fuel with the chip+cat remove done.

heh, tell me about it, I think it was $1100+shipping at Woolf in Auckland for an E34 Remus, but they had the E36s on hand and were selling for $650. Steep, but it's been worth it.

Yeah definitely, might be a good idea to compare the results on a dyno in one session, with the chip and without - though that is a bit of mucking around. :rolleyes:

Yeah definitely, might be a good idea to compare the results on a dyno in one session, with the chip and without - though that is a bit of mucking around. :rolleyes:

and a LOT of $, for me it's not really worth it considering it's just an auto.

EDIT: as much as I'd like to let all of bimmersport know!

Edited by sammcj

Just had both the cat's replaced with straight through pipes and the o2 sensors plugged back in.

It was $165 and Magoo near south city, the guy tried to keep the two cats and was like 'Oh the price I quoted you was with us keeping the cats' so I told him that the guy on the phone said they wouldn't want them and I could keep them etc... anyway he gave in and put them in my boot!

As for the sound, it's absolutely no louder or nicer what so ever, not even slightly - in fact it's probably quieter / less deep than it was with them in! - Bugger, hopefully it's breathing a bit better though.

Where is the best place to get the old cat's scrapped?

Just got the car back from a Gearbox service (not a flush)

I told them it was a 4HP22 and they said it'd be around $180-$200 because of the amount of oil those things take...

Turns out it has a the 'Big Bertha' a 5HP30 in it!

..... wait for it....

......................... $379!

Ouch.

On the up hand they said the GB is in mint condition and shows signs of being serviced in the past.

Still waiting :P

edit - that's better :)

Edited by Ian 540i6

:P So do all e34 540i's have the 5HP30?

yes and same with e32 740i

and similer units in e38 740i and e39 740i etc

Ah right.

Has anyone here had any luck hooking their ODB1 E34 to carsoft or INPA?

My carsoft setup worked with my E36 and my friends E46 but not with the E34, It just won't speed to the DME :(

Just got the car back from a Gearbox service (not a flush)

I told them it was a 4HP22 and they said it'd be around $180-$200 because of the amount of oil those things take...

Turns out it has a the 'Big Bertha' a 5HP30 in it!

..... wait for it....

......................... $379!

Ouch.

On the up hand they said the GB is in mint condition and shows signs of being serviced in the past.

Not bad, I self flushed my 540i's gearbox... wow what a ridiculous job that was. Cost me $200 odd in fluid, $90 for a filter (I think) and another $50 for some specific tools.... for $379 that is a good spend IMO.

Hows the gearbox go now?

Not bad, I self flushed my 540i's gearbox... wow what a ridiculous job that was. Cost me $200 odd in fluid, $90 for a filter (I think) and another $50 for some specific tools.... for $379 that is a good spend IMO.

Hows the gearbox go now?

Ouch.

Just as good as it did before, I'm surprised it so tidy after 130MILES!

I did it just to piece of mind, it wasn't a flush it was just a service / change + filter as a full flush would be around the 600 mark.

Guest MP0wer

Bringing this one back from the dead since the search function doesn't go back to showing all the posts made by Sam,

I'm Looking at buying this car off the current owner, anybody know what he did to the suspension, and if he ever go around to installing an LSD and what have you.

• Like 1