Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

F**king Rusty Nuts

Weird on a BMW forum but have searched google and not found a solution that works. I have a tandem trailer for my boat and in an effort to pull the wheels off and clean up the hubs etc for WOF time, I have come across three wheel nuts (All on one wheel) that just wont friggin come loose.. Tried BFH/wheel-brace/heat nuts/CRC/WD40/Impact wrench etc but to no avail.

ANY ideas welcome

P.S One nut is now slightly rounded from Impact wrench :( grr!

Edited by KSMYRS

Comes a time when you need a good cold chisel, hammer or nut splitter and split them. :D

Yea boat is in the carport and the culprit nuts are almost hard up against the wall. So not much access, Will have to finish the other 3 hubs, put the wheels back on and roll it out. But, stuff it, I think you are right.. Time for a BiggerFH!

Hope I can get replacements, they are 26mm nuts with what looks like a standard wheel stud thread. Odd size though. Had to buy a socket just to fit em?!!

Edited by KSMYRS

At least your doing some thing about it .

Yesterday went fishing with a mate , got to the boat ramp somone is trying to get his boat off the trailer

1 the shacle holding the boat on the trailer was rusted , we leant him a pair of vicegrips

2 boat still would not move ....most of the rollers were rusted

3 after about 15min with 5 of us pushing we decided to float the piece of sh*t off , backed the trailer down 2-3 feet hay presto the boats floats off, but the trailer felloff the end of the boat ramp and his car was not big enough to pull it out

4 take trailer off our car, hook up a tow rope and pulled him out

5 we were going for a 5.45 am start ended up being 6.30

6 missed the fish

if you round the nut off too much hammer on a slightly smaller old 12pt socket...

2 Left!! One rounded one good, CRC'd the hell outta them and leaving to soak overnight.. Heres hoping!

Righty ho.. ended up getting em off. used a compressor and impact gun with a bigger tank (mine was losing torque after 15 or so sec's) just rattled the hell out of one.

The rounded one was a mish.. Turned out it was going to be to hard to source another wheel nut, so tacked the edges of the nut that were worn, dremeled them back to corners and used the rattle gun on it.

Never had such a problem with wheel nuts ever.

Upside is it got a WOF and I can now go fishing this weekend :D

Moral of story - Never let your nuts get rusty.

could be reverse thread? worth a try

Read full thread, I have got them off.