Sign in to follow this  
sammcj2000

Microchips-Tuning performance chip for M60 / 540i

Just purchased a new performance chip from microchips-tuning. (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/microchips-tuning)

It was only $117 shipped to NZ from the the UK, the guy I spoke to there (George) seemed decent and said their standard gain on a M60 is 8%.

Should be here in a week and a half, I'll let you know how it goes.

8% tell him he's dreaming. It will prob raise the rev limiter and advance the timing.

8% tell him he's dreaming. It will prob raise the rev limiter and advance the timing.

No, 8% should be right.

I did the same tunes to the 328 and made a massive difference.

Fuel, spark, WOT adjustments, rev

Don't wanna burst your bubble here or anything but in my experience those cheap chips are useless. Its like when you buy a 2k exhaust system expecting 10bhp gain, put it on the dyno and no difference at all.

What the chips do is in reality raise the rev limit and adjust a little bit of the timing.

Any dyno tuner will tell you this.... Best thing to do in future I would say is put the 100$ aside and save for a proper tune. You can stand there and watch your car get more and more power and again the dyno never lies so you can know your getting much more power, and fuel efficiency without having your rev's raised or your engine working harder.

Edited by Gotheschu

Don't wanna burst your bubble here or anything but in my experience those cheap chips are useless. Its like when you buy a 2k exhaust system expecting 10bhp gain, and the dyno doens't lie and I know its b.s.

What the chips do is in reality raise the rev limit and adjust a little bit of the timing.

Any dyno tuner will tell you this.... Best thing to do in future I would say is put the 100$ aside and save for a proper tune. You can stand there and watch your car get more and more power and again the dyno never lies so you can know your getting much more power, and fuel efficiency without having your rev's raised or your engine working harder.

I agree with you about the Dyno, but (for me) it's simply not worth spending big $$ to get an automatic dyno-tuned, there is a massive difference between moderately tuning to mildly increase performance the perhaps and economy and getting the 'perfect tune'.

Straight out - when I did my 328 it made a big difference, to both fuel economy and performance.

Basically, If I can get the same out of this chip I'll be happy.

Time = $

Time not spent tuning it myself again = $ saved

$100 = piss all to spend to get a limited gain.

EDIT: BTW, installing a Dinan chip in a stock M60B40 see gains of 15- 36HP on a Dyno.

With Dinan you're paying for the brand name, yes it might be slightly more fine tuned and rigorously tested than another brand but they all basically do the same thing.

Edited by sammcj

Be interested to see what you think after installed.

Are dyno's worth it? I've got a stock e46 323i, with K&N panel filter (wow what a mod!) and was thinking of a dyno but doubt there is any gains to be had.

I threw in a probitz (www.probitz.com via ebay) diesel tuning box into my 2010 TDCI Modeo and it was decent, not wow but noticeably move shove in the mid range.... then took it out for the car's 20k service and man did I notice it was gone!! They claim a 25hp gain and I'd say that's not far off. That said, diesels are known to respond well to the tune boxes, I hear guys with 320d BMW's saying the same thing.

Basically all I *think* they actually do in catch the ecu signal on the way to the fuel rail and 'over-fuel'. There is a little smarts to it but again I don't think it’s the space-age kit they'll have you think.

Not bad for $200 NZD landed. I turned it up too much at one point and the car went into some kind of limp mode and I almost didn't make it up Ngarunga! But half returning it to the recommend setting for my car it was great.

Never tried a petrol ECU chip / box

Ooo I await the results.

OK took it for a 'quick' (chuckle, chuckle) spin around a few back roads.

Definitely a bit of a gain, will be interesting to see how it performs in the coming weeks, will be watching the fuel economy too.

should dyno it. expectancy makes you biased towards it.

Edited by Docile

I feels like it picks up the rev's easier at the mid-low end and there feels to be a bit of an advantage at WOT.

Early days though, I'll post an update in a few weeks.

Note: I am bloody pissed off how long it took to get to NZ though, 3 weeks!

Edited by sammcj