Sign in to follow this  
318is

Lock out of car - battery flat!

My dad has a 1985 E30 with a flat battery. He is locked out of his car, and cant get in!!

Central locking will not work with the key because the batt is flat. ( he assumes so )

Does anyone know how to get into the car to get to the bonnet reslease.

Cheers

My dad has a 1985 E30 with a flat battery. He is locked out of his car, and cant get in!!

Central locking will not work with the key because the batt is flat. ( he assumes so )

Does anyone know how to get into the car to get to the bonnet reslease.

Cheers

Break a glasS??

Just use the key .. and the drivers side will open ... then you can easily get in and open the bonnet ...

On five and seven series you unlock drivers door by lifting the handle and then turning the key further than you normally do. so yours might be the same.

Just keep fiddling the drivers door you will get in eventually!!!!

Otherwise jack the car up and connect a jumplead to either th main terminal on the starter motor or the back of the alternato both of these will power up your central locking but dont try starting it like that just to get doors open.

Cheers. He says the key won't even move in the door at this stage. It's as if the key lock/barrell is siezed tight. Strange one allright.

He says the key won't even move in the door allright.

Wrong key?

they get jammed sometimes

fiddle

The central locking is controlled by a controller operated off switches in the drivers, front passenger doors and boot. There is a double-lock feature in most e30s which prevents the doors from being unlocked from the inside, or any door except the drivers. Play with the drivers door lock. There may be some resistance for the key to turn.

E30 locks are another common failure point according to forums I have slutted around.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

another way is to open the boot , pull boot light down , conect 12Volt battery to light bulb (check which is positive) then use the central locking .

or as above conect to starter motor (done both before) .

i have a good key and lock set if needed $80

Thanks alot guys. I cracked out the TIS and looked through there as well. It turns out he had a 'cut' master key, which wouldn't unlock from 'dead lock'. He wiggled and giggled the handle as prescribed above, and got in.

Lesson here, only use a MASTER KEY from BMW......

BTW: the boot would open, but the CL would not inside the car. Passenger side and drivers side would not budge. And of note - the battery was not flat. He got in and started it :huh:

yeh.... if you happen to have a post-94 BMW (in fact, any BMW with factory immobiliser), it would cost at least $160 to get a spare key to be cut at a dealer (read... $tealers)

yeh.... if you happen to have a post-94 BMW (in fact, any BMW with factory immobiliser), it would cost at least $160 to get a spare key to be cut at a dealer (read... $tealers)

Well i had a E36 1995 and it costed $18 to be cut at a friends place ... but i think that was because mine didn't have a chip in the key ...

now it costs nearly $400 for a key !

And of note - the battery was not flat.  He got in and started it  :huh:

I had this problem with my 525i, and various other hiccups with the electrics.

Did a bit of googling, and it is the fusible link just off the battery.

Mine is E34 but I assume it may be similar?

Posted Image

This is an E34 fusible link casing.

When I checked mine the link was in 2 pieces, causing intermittent problems.

Worth checking.