Sign in to follow this  
matt45

My Blue 2002 530i Motorsport

From someone with an M E39 whom has already done this:

I've lowered my front with H&R springs (self leveling rears) on standard shocks and run 19" wheels (275 all around) and the car is firm but rides beautifully IMO.

Brought the front tyre nicely into the guard as factory they have a huge gap here.

Best thing I've done to the car. No bump steer. No understeer. I have more positive turn in and increased grip.

I'd upload a pic but my 248kb pic wont upload ? states upload failed. Ask admin to check settings & permissions.

Admin?

Edited by M5V8

From someone with an M E39 whom has already done this:

I've lowered my front with H&R springs (self leveling rears) on standard shocks and run 19" wheels (275 all around) and the car is firm but rides beautifully IMO.

Brought the front tyre nicely into the guard as factory they have a huge gap here.

Best thing I've done to the car. No bump steer. No understeer. I have more positive turn in and increased grip.

I'd upload a pic but my 248kb pic wont upload ? states upload failed. Ask admin to check settings & permissions.

Admin?

Check if it is below 800 pixels...I had the same problem. I did this in photoshop.

Take this advice from someone in the trade and someone who is currently driving there 19th bmw.

The 17" motorsport wheels are all you should have on this.

They are staggered fittment.

Provide an ultimate ride with 40/45 profile.

They have no bump steer and are firm but not hard at standard Motorsport height.

I put 285/30r19s an 265/35r19 on the front.

Also lowered it.

Lasted 3 weeks then put it all back to standard.

To be honest your advice is not very good especially if you are "in the trade" as you put it. Yours probably didn't drive very well because your tyres are different heights. A 265/35 is about 15mm taller than the 285/30 on the rear. Perhaps it was more to do with your choice of wheel and tyre fitment than the car itself.

Just like others on here I have lowered and put E39's onto 19" wheels without any problems. I have always run a 235/35 and 265/30 combo front and rear or 245/35 and 275/30 combo and never had any issues and the cars have always driven very nicely.

OP:I say go for it with the M6 wheel but also perhaps look at a mesh type wheel like an LM replica or motorsport style :)

It all depends on your tire choice, put cheap rubber on expect average results. The e39 is a heavy car and having soft side walls and bad casing design will really show.

Lowering will obviously change the geometery and cause the dredded shimey but replacing the thrush arm bushings and a decent wheels alignment will bring this back into order.

post-5771-1322075918.jpg

Ha that worked. Yes less than 800 now.

So here you are a E39 on m sport suspension & 19's (275/35/19 all round). Sits nice & rides beautifully.

Of course ride is always upto ones own interpretation.

I would recommend thinking of over tyring if you experience any grip issues.

Oh yes....I like the M6 wheels in 19's on the e39 too. I say go for it. (that pic def has been lowered in the front).

I would shy away from going for full coilovers since you are concerned with ride some can be quite hard even on the softest setting.

Edited by M5V8

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forums. I too say go for it with 19" wheels. Are you in Auckland? We have a huge range of staggered wheels in stock that will be suitable. Perhaps check out some of our work here

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=28483

We are landing another container of wheels on Monday as well which has some very cool stuff in there

cheers

Johno

Still, no need to write what you wrote previously, if you want to have some fun, do it on facebook, we dont want to see your bickering beef. :)

PFTT.....Who let Grandma on the Forum???

I like my Pink 986. So does Jack, Thats why the ginger always calls shotgun!!!!!!

PFTT.....Who let Grandma on the Forum???

I like my Pink 986. So does Jack, Thats why the ginger always calls shotgun!!!!!!

I wasn't aware you had more than 2 seats? :P