Sign in to follow this  
nath

E30 air con retro- fit

I have an E30 318i auto which I pamper.... but lately I have been doing weekly return trips Kerikeri- Auckland and find the heat is too much.

Taking into account what I have already spent/ lavished on the car ("a little more wont hurt", "I love the car" etc), how much do you guys reckon fitting air con would help? OR am i just being a bitch about the current hugely muggy weather.

Or cut my losses and sell someone a mint E30?

Completely doable but quite a job.

Requires obtaining an air con version heater assy, & removing the dash to change them over.

Running the lines

Fit pump

Fit condenser, fan, etc

Wiring the system.

Just get the complete system from a donor car.

Certainly nice to have & if your car is the "right one" then probably worthwhile - depends if you can do some of the donkey work - the job is straight forward enough but realively labour intensive.

Have all the sh*t you need nath. x2 actually since I don't want it in the touring :)

Have all the sh*t you need nath. x2 actually since I don't want it in the touring :)

Oh hardcore, sweet! i dont know why im replying to this. txting immediately

Lol have fun Nath-I just pulled one out for a mate but made damn sure I didnt offer to fit it haha

Hah yeah i've had the whole interior out before so that part is sorted, but heater is a step on top of that :S

I'm reallly tempted to fix mine...

I've removed all the engine bay componentry though... didn't cut any wiring.

There is a modern equivalent to the old stuff available also.

i was on the understanding that E30s used the old standard of refrigerant and were illegal to refill?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorodifluoromethane

A lot of miss information about this. Yes illegal to use R-12 still

R-12 to R-134 is straight forward - degas & regas

That said, receiver drier should be replaced & probably flush the system too.

R-134 have different filling ports but simply screw on the R-134 retrofit adapters - even this is not necessary if using R-12 style couplings on the gauge hoses

As above reply - R-134 is the modern equivelent

knew there was a replacement, but thought you had to change compressors/condensors/hoses etc a cost that made it not worthwhile. my mistake /OT

A lot of miss information about this. Yes illegal to use R-12 still

R-12 to R-134 is straight forward - degas & regas

That said, receiver drier should be replaced & probably flush the system too.

R-134 have different filling ports but simply screw on the R-134 retrofit adapters - even this is not necessary if using R-12 style couplings on the gauge hoses

As above reply - R-134 is the modern equivelent

Another one i have heard is that changing to the new gas will swell the O-rings and required these to be replaced.

Anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Another one i have heard is that changing to the new gas will swell the O-rings and required these to be replaced.

Haven't heard of that one but as a rule, whether you buy a kit or not it would be a good idea to replace all seals/o-rings etc. Some aircon shops advocate replacing hoses as well but if the upgraded system doesn't show any leaks then all should be good (hopefully).

BMW R-134 retrofit kit on Ebay

Yep have heard of that but never experienced it. Either way - a simple job to replace them - certainly while system is out of the car

Replacing hoses - I reacon it's for upselling. If a hose is ok then it's ok

Edit - sp

Edited by hotwire