Sign in to follow this  
danutt

damn e36..help me out please

my e36 325i m50 vanos has developed a strange starting issue

sometimes you turn the key and sweet az other times absolutely nothing happens and the lights go dim on the dash

battery is new

now it has also developed a small rattle sounds like a stone in an exhasut cover but its by the back of the engine

starter motor gone or nearly gone?

starter motor solenoid not coming back so its touching or running with the engine?(could explain rattle)

cheers for any input

have a great xmas

Hmm could be a stuffed starter

Could also be a starter motor relay... check those first.

hey mate where would i find the starter relay ? good idea to check it first

looking for a write up on starter motor removal....they are a bugger on the 36 but there must be sum tricks to it

had another look at her taday and placing a pipe on the starter while its running and i can here a ticking

could the solenoid be staying engaged ?

cant find relay to check it

removed(one by one) the relays in the engine box and none stopped the engine from starting except of course the fuel one

does it even have a relay?

checked behind glovebox and theres a relay there just one and its not for the starter and did my fail proof test haha and it still starts

please help out cheers

sorry . no relay i think ,

starter wire (black with yellow strip) goes from ignition switch all the way to the starter motor.

your ring gear could be damaged (have seen it before) requires new starter and ring gear (trans will need to be removed)

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

if ring gear is buggered, hopefully unlikely, then what could happen if i just leave it

probably starter motor and solenoid at fault then

had another look and sound is more intense so to speak from the bottom of bellhousing

but when you stand on drivers side you can hear it more than on the starter side

man its frustrating

got a trip planned for 29th need the ka dammit haha

if ring gear is buggered, hopefully unlikely, then what could happen if i just leave it

probably starter motor and solenoid at fault then

had another look and sound is more intense so to speak from the bottom of bellhousing

but when you stand on drivers side you can hear it more than on the starter side

man its frustrating

got a trip planned for 29th need the ka dammit haha

if it is the ring gear , eventually you wont be able to start it as all the teeth will be damaged

cheers for the starter its all in now

the old starters dome shaped insert into the gearbox was broken off and rattling around against the flywheel hahah

definitly the most bizarre thing on the e36 so far haha

now onto the next thing while im there with intake off i cleaned icv and checked pipes etc

knock sensors dont look like they working lol generally bad condition haha

how to test these? how much to replace?

will start a new topic :)

cheers for the help